[Reader-list] (fwd) Fox News apologises

sanjay ghosh definetime at rediffmail.com
Mon Oct 4 15:40:16 IST 2004

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------

Fox News apologises for Kerry fabrication

Oliver Burkeman in New York
Monday October 4, 2004
The Guardian

Fox News, the influential rightwing US television network, said yesterday it had "reprimanded" its chief political correspondent after its website carried fabricated quotes attributed to John Kerry, in which he called himself a "metrosexual" who enjoys getting manicures.

The network, owned by Rupert Murdoch, apologised for the article in which the Democratic challenger was quoted telling a rally in Florida: "Didn't my nails and cuticles look great? What a good debate!" Comparing himself to the president, Mr Kerry was supposed to have said: "I'm metrosexual - he's a cowboy." Women voters, he purportedly added, "should like me! I do manicures."

The article appeared under the byline of Carl Cameron, who has been following Mr Kerry on the campaign trail. It had been posted on the site, the network said in a statement, because of "fatigue and bad judgment, rather than malice."

"Carl Cameron made a stupid mistake and he has been reprimanded for his lapse in judgment. It was a poor attempt at humour and he regrets it," a Fox spokesman Paul Schur told the Los Angeles Times, though he would not give details of what action would be taken against Mr Cameron.

The "metrosexual" story taps into a persistent theme underlying the election race, in which the Republican party and its supporters in the media have sought to make a campaign issue of the candidates' perceived masculinity.

At the party's convention in New York last month, California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger called Mr Kerry's advisors "economic girlie-men".

A metrosexual, the fake Fox article helpfully concluded, "is defined as an urbane male with a strong aesthetic sense who spends a great deal of time and money on his appearance and lifestyle".