[spam?] [Reader-list] Politics of American Un-civilization

Isaac D W Souweine souweine at hawaii.edu
Sat Oct 16 15:05:42 IST 2004

Avinash:

You refer to this article as making a "claim" that you
take "seriously". I have read the article (or rather your translation)
and I'm wondering whether it really deserves to be called a "claim", as
opposed to say "unfounded speculation". This question (of terminology)
has also set me on some other wonderings.

As to the merits of the ideas in the article, I can't say, but seeing
as the piece includes no factual support, relying instead on the appeal
that is always enjoyed by claims about grand/unexpected conspiracies
(novel interpretations are so rare these days), I'm wondering about
whether there are certain levels of responsibility attached to
reproducing such claims/speculation.

Don't get me wrong - such a thing could be true. Moreover, in an era of
technically “free” but systematically vapid and disinformative media,
it is the job of regular everyday citizens to use the tools at their
disposal, especially information technology, to circulate facts and
ideas that would otherwise be buried or strategically misinterpreted.
In this sense, I commend your search for more information on this issue
and of course the list is a perfect place to make inquiries.

At the same time, considering the way memes of information flow,
especially in a networked world, I still have misgivings. Because the
fact is, many people will not follow this up (we’re all busy people
after all), but they will read and here it and maybe they will
reproduce it, as in "Hey, did you here that those Abu Gharib pictures
are actually part of a state department plot . . . .".

Perhaps I should not be worried - ideas survive or fail according to
their own merits and all that, but I guess my concern is connected to
this fact: for the past months, having little access to libraries, I
have been doing a lot of research on the internet, despite the fact
that I have been told by so many and have seen for myself that in the
global information commons there is a huge amount of what Thoreau would
poetically call "seaweed" but that is better labeled as either "
speculation and misinformation" or, perhaps even worse (for being more
subtle), “poorly researched, imprecise and slightly incorrect facts”.
Of course, there is increasingly lots of really quality information
that abides by basic standards of accuracy, but this problem (the
problem of democracy??) remains endemic.

Knowing all this, I'm wondering - do we have a responsibility with
regard to populating this or any list or any internet-accessible place
with information that abides by a certain standard?? I know problems
exist even with the way this question is framed – whose standard? How
is it overseen etc.? But even accepting these problems, I think the
question is worth considering.

There is more to say on this, definitions to specify, philosophers to
quote (JS Mill where are you), implications to unpack etc., but I’ll
leave it there for the time being. . .

Yours,
Isaac Souweine

--Boundary_(ID_+u9LCO2YpdC3SzCTUK/upw)

Friends,

I am appending below my translation of a small piece that appeared in the Hindi journal 'LokVidya Samvad'. The piece argues that the worldwide publicity of torture taking place in Abu Gharaib and elsewhere is part of a plan. I take the claim seriously and would like to inquire into how exactly these pictures were leaked to the media. I have read that Seymoor Hersh and CBS Television were the first to publish these. What is their background? Are there any heroic stories as to how this leak was made possible? Are there any US enquiries as to the security lapses which made this leak possible? It does seem to me that appearance one after another of these videos and pictures from a high security prison is suspicious.

avinash

From: LOKVIDYA SAMVAD, No. 14, July 2004 (p.20)

Politics of American Un-civilization

What happened in Abu Gharaib prison and the worldwide publicity it gained, both should be regarded as parts of US strategy. It is not a strategy of war but the strategy of establishing an uncivilized regime in the world. This should also be seen in the context of forthcoming elections in the US to which Bush Administration is responding in part by this particular strategy.

The story goes that the Officers of the US Army may have been aware of the torture of Iraqi prisoners but they were not a part of it, and that the pictures and videos of the torture were heroically leaked to the media leading to their worldwide dissemination. We think this is just lies. Ever since the war has been on in Iraq, the US has successfully censored the news and pictures coming out of there. There were hardly any pictures of the protracted battles that took place while the pictures of the demolition of Saddam Hussain's statue were repeated over and over again on the TV screens. Only victories of US army found place in the media coverage. Only on rare occasions did one fine the stories of Iraqi Army's resilience and of defeats suffered by US forces. Is the heroism of the media limited only to showing the victimhood of Iraqis? The truth lies somewhere else. The whole thing is about the priorities and policies of the US administration.

The way US went ahead to start a war in Iraq solely on the basis of its military strength in opposition to global resistance, spurning the sentiments of people everywhere, and by completely disregarding the United Nations, brings to light the current US policy and strategy. The policy clearly is to rule the world and the strategy is terror. US cannot hope to win the support of people and countries to its policies on the basis of their consent. It can gain their allegiance only by striking fear into them. By publicizing the pictures from Abu Gharaib depicting behavior that crosses all limits, the US is telling everyone that the people opposing US will meet with the same consequences. The worldwide publicity of these pictures can only be part of a well-thought out strategy.

This year's election also requires Bush administration to show itself as that demon which has in it to rule the world with iron hand. In the age of globalisation, control on international trade can be exercised only in this manner and only thus the dream of an American Century can be fulfilled. The republican party cannot trounce the democratic party by paying lip service to democratic values or by talking about international cooperation. Only way Bush can win is by arousing the egotistic and animal instincts of the American people.

Centre for the Study of Developing Societies, Delhi.

--Boundary_(ID_+u9LCO2YpdC3SzCTUK/upw)

<HTML><HEAD>
<DEFANGED_style_0 </STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DEFANGED_DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Friends,</FONT></DEFANGED_DIV>
<DEFANGED_DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DEFANGED_DIV>
<DEFANGED_DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I am appending below my translation of a small
piece that appeared in the Hindi journal 'LokVidya Samvad'. The piece argues
that the worldwide publicity of torture taking place in Abu Gharaib and
elsewhere is part of a plan. I take the claim seriously and would like to
inquire into how exactly these pictures were leaked to the media. I have read
that Seymoor Hersh and CBS Television were the first to publish these. What is
their background? Are there any heroic stories as to how this leak was made
possible? Are there any US enquiries as to the security lapses which made this
leak possible? It does seem to me that appearance one after another of these
videos and pictures from a high security prison is suspicious. </FONT></DEFANGED_DIV>
<DEFANGED_DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DEFANGED_DIV>
<DEFANGED_DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>avinash</FONT></DEFANGED_DIV>
<DEFANGED_DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DEFANGED_DIV>
<DEFANGED_DIV>
<P class="MsoNormal" DEFANGED_style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">&nbsp;<?xml:namespace prefix = o
ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></P>
<P class="MsoNormal" DEFANGED_style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">From: LOKVIDYA SAMVAD, No. 14,
July 2004 (p.20)</P>
<P class="MsoNormal" DEFANGED_style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></P>
<P class="MsoNormal" DEFANGED_style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Politics of American
Un-civilization</P>
<P class="MsoNormal" DEFANGED_style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></P>
<P class="MsoNormal" DEFANGED_style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">What happened in Abu Gharaib
prison and the worldwide publicity it gained, both should be regarded as parts
of US strategy. It is not a strategy of war but the strategy of establishing an
uncivilized regime in the world. This should also be seen in the context of
forthcoming elections in the US to which Bush Administration is responding in
part by this particular strategy.<DEFANGED_SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp;
</DEFANGED_SPAN></P>
<P class="MsoNormal" DEFANGED_style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></P>
<P class="MsoNormal" DEFANGED_style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">The story goes that the Officers
of the US Army may have been aware of the torture of Iraqi prisoners but they
were not a part of it, and that the pictures and videos of the torture were
heroically leaked to the media leading to their worldwide dissemination. We
think this is just lies. Ever since the war has been on in Iraq, the US has
successfully censored the news and pictures coming out of there. There were
hardly any pictures of the protracted battles that took place while the pictures
of the demolition of Saddam Hussain’s statue were repeated over and over again
on the TV screens. Only victories of US army found place in the media coverage.
Only on rare occasions did one fine the stories of Iraqi Army’s resilience and
of defeats suffered by US forces. Is the heroism of the media limited only to
showing the victimhood of Iraqis? The truth lies somewhere else. The whole thing
is about the priorities and policies of the US administration.</P>
<P class="MsoNormal" DEFANGED_style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></P>
<P class="MsoNormal" DEFANGED_style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">The way US went ahead to start a
war in Iraq solely on the basis of its military strength in opposition to global
resistance, spurning the sentiments of people everywhere, and by completely
disregarding the United Nations, brings to light the current US policy and
strategy. The policy clearly is to rule the world and the strategy is terror. US
cannot hope to win the support of people and countries to its policies on the
basis of their consent. It can gain their allegiance only by striking fear into
them. By publicizing the pictures from Abu Gharaib depicting behavior that
crosses all limits, the US is telling everyone that the people opposing US will
meet with the same consequences. The worldwide publicity of these pictures can
only be part of a well-thought out strategy.</P>
<P class="MsoNormal" DEFANGED_style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></P>
<P class="MsoNormal" DEFANGED_style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">This year’s election also
requires Bush administration to show itself as that demon which has in it to
rule the world with iron hand. In the age of globalisation, control on
international trade can be exercised only in this manner and only thus the dream
of an American Century can be fulfilled. The republican party cannot trounce the
democratic party by paying lip service to democratic values or by talking about
international cooperation. Only way Bush can win is by arousing the egotistic
and animal instincts of the American people. </P>
<P class="MsoNormal" DEFANGED_style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></P>
<P class="MsoNormal"
DEFANGED_style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></P></DEFANGED_DIV></BODY></HTML>

<P><HR size=1><FONT face=Arial size=2><B>
Centre for the Study of Developing Societies, Delhi.
</B></FONT>

--Boundary_(ID_+u9LCO2YpdC3SzCTUK/upw)--