[Reader-list] Politics of American Un-civilization

Vivek Narayanan vivek at sarai.net
Tue Oct 19 16:54:19 IST 2004

I'd like to thank Avinash for translating this article for those of us
who do not read or even understand Hindi; it's important to get a sense
of the range of what goes on in other languages, and to bring together
discourse and conversations across linguistic barriers. So I hope you'll
post more translations, even of material you don't agree with.

However, I don't agree with some of the assumptions underpinning the
article, though of course it's hard to pronounce on factual certitude
when the facts themselves will never completely be at hand.

Firstly, it is important to keep in mind that the published photographs
themselves are just the tip of iceberg. We know from congressmen and
others that there are several (perhaps hundreds) of other visual
documents, including videos depicting rape, etc, which have not been
released for general consumption precisely because they would threaten
to seriously unmask the true nature of the US occupation. Since many of
these interrogation procedures are identical to those reportedly taking
place thousands of miles away in Guantanamo Bay, we can also surmise
that these procedures were not anomalies but a deliberately implemented
policy and, from info leaks from the CIA, we have heard that this policy
was broadly outlined and signed into existence right from the White
House, with an army of attendant lawyers, in response to its failure to
actually capture any "terrorists" of note. And we know (this underscores
the article's point that we only get the US point of view and points to
the flawed belief that photographs are somehow more "truthful" than oral
depositions) from the testimonies of Iraqi prisoners and their families
that the torture often went much, much further into unphotographed and
unspeakable brutality. This is common word-of-mouth knowledge in Iraq:
the photographs were a big shock only to those of us looking in from the
outside. So if the state dept really wanted to "strike terror" it ought
to have leaked more info about what is actually happening. The
procedures depicted in the photographs are chilling to see, no doubt,
but they surely don't reflect the extent of brutality that happens, and
has been happening every day, in interrogation rooms around the world,
whether it be wrought upon nationalist fighters or even ordinary
pickpockets.

Secondly, the assumption that any leak must have been deliberately
engineered shuts off the possibility of internal outrage and shame.

Leaks seem to be happening at many levels. Many of the US soldiers in
Iraq are not properly trained fulltimers, but part of the National
Guard-- which means they expected to do a few drills on weekends and go
on with college, or work, or whatever was being financed. Many of them
are from deeply rural areas where they did not even get to witness
casual urban violence. Plopped in the middle of Iraq, shooting and
getting shot at by eleven-year old Iraqis, they must be deeply
traumatised (the suicide rate for this group is high), and are less
likely to buy into the code of silence that constricts professional
soldiers. While their emails home are censored, a fair amount seems to
be getting through, including letters to Michael Moore. From the sense I
get, the photographs were a common practice and must have been in very
wide circulation long before they hit the press, so anybody could have
leaked them. It is also possible, for me at least, that they were leaked
by disgruntled and traumatised officers, a few of whom have also written
to Moore.

There are also leaks happening all the way up the hierarchy. Bush is
famous for overruling logic at meetings and making quick decisions based
on what he calls his "gut instincts" (email communications from Jesus in
heaven, perhaps). This has alienated many within his own party (though
few are talking)and many who have had their jobs through several
administrations. There seems to be, especially, a large amount of
dissent fomenting in the CIA, because they are simultaneously blamed for
intelligence lapses AND not listened to. While CIA employees themselves
cannot talk to the press, the preferred method seems to be to leak the
info to ex-CIA friends, who are not bound anymore by the code. So the
person who usually comes on TV to hint at leaks is an ex-CIA official.
These are, admittedly, people who are still heavily invested in US
dominance, and have presided over many years of torture and
assassination; but they would rather that imperialist policy be dictated
by logic and assessment than by Jesus via his deputy prophet. So they
are less shocked and traumatised by what goes on but believe that the
White House has embarked on an adventure that has been and will continue
to be very diffuse and counterproductive.

So there is ample evidence that the US power structure is cracking under
the weight of its own contradictions, and that the leaks are seeping
through these cracks.

V.