[Reader-list] Guardian Unlimited: Daring to dream

sanjay ghosh definetime at rediffmail.com
Thu Sep 2 10:59:02 IST 2004

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------

Dear Keith,

It would be irresponsible to call your original response a 'tirade' as it contained a wealth of information. Without your side of the argument the Rifkin angle does indeed present a skewed picture. You've also pointed out significant tendencies on the list - more consumption and less debate but I suspect it's a reflection of the real world outside.

Now that you've brought it up, I think I first came across that 'US data' in Manufacturing Consent (the Wintoneck/Achbar documentary on Chomsky) but it was kind of lost in the filing cabinets of my brain. One wants to share information but the numbers get hazy, besides often the context is lacking. Big papers usually (though not always!) take care to cross check facts, which lends them a certain gravity and consequently eases one's personal responsibility towards verifying the 'text'.

For a while now, I've been sending 'group mails' to friends and acquaintances; finding a fairly positive response. It's both easier and difficult when you personally know the group. In a large anonymous group one hopes that someone somewhere will find useful information in your postings. Over a period, one smells the 'contours' of the group/list and tailors one's postings accordingly (You can get a 'flavour' of the past as this list is archived and searchable). Happily, Sarai and it's readers-list seems to encompass a fairly broad range of topics. My 'editorial selection' takes into account all the above with a degree of inevitable personal bias. I only hope to enlarge the areas of concern beyond the restrictions that location and media ownership/readership bias, seems to impose upon us.

regards,
Sanjay

Ps - I didn't mean to take this exchange out of the 'list' but the auto REPLY button stimulates a one-sided response (to the sender instead of the list). Quite a few interesting exchanges in the past have similarly fallen out of the list - which otherwise may have contributed to our collective engagements.