[Reader-list] Guardian Unlimited: Daring to dream

Keith Hart keith at thememorybank.co.uk
Thu Sep 2 14:51:46 IST 2004

Sanjay,

Thanks for posting our private exchange on the list. I hope readers can
make sense of it backwards.

Your use of the word 'irresponsible' struck a chord, since one of my
main reasons for sending the original piece was to raise the question of
responsibility in publishing on the net. For you are an internet
publisher and the issue is whether readers are entitled to know where
you are coming from when you send out something that catches your interest.

I only raise this issue because Rifkin's pitch was so outrageous.
Subsequently you have told me of your interest in the EU transnational
experiment (which is undoubtedly important for the rest of the world as
well as for those of us who are part of it) and in the evidence he gave
that Europe is now in some respects a bigger economy than the USA. You
have also acknowledged that my line offers a rather different angle to
his. But I still don;t know if there are grounds for a debate between us
and any interested onlookers. Maybe that too is the point -- let's keep
it informational and not get upset about anything.

This is a week when the Republicans are trying to bully and con the
American people into re-electing them because of fear of terror; when
Putin's path to authoritarian rule is challenged by Chechen rebels,
while the others (the US, Britain, France and Germany keep quiet because
they think he is th ebest man to keep the lid on there. Let's not even
discuss the mess in the Middle East. Anyone who travels internationally
these days knows how security is being tightened everywhere and
immigrants are a universal scapgoat for insecurity. In this highly
contemporary scenario, Rifkin tells us that Europe offers the kind face
of social democracy, transnational cooperation and ecological concern as
an alternative to get-rich-quick America a.k.a. liberal democracy or
corporate capitalism running amok. But he is not burning his boats
there, since his pitch is that, if Britain can help the Americans and
Europeans get into bed, they can rule the world safely together for
another hundred years.

I just wonder how such a story plays in Asia. The Chinese government for
sure is not backing down in the face of the US-Europe dual hegemony that
passes for a world order at present. They have refused to fix the
exchange rates so that America is less embarrassed by the balance of
trade betwen them and they are accumulating massive dollar deposits as a
result. It is worth recalling that offshore banking took off in the form
of eurodollar market after Russian and Chinese were seized in New York
at the beginning of the Cold War. Revenge is sweet and it may not be far
off.

My bet is that India and China will become the superpowers of the 21st
century, as befits their strategic economic position, size and ancient
civilisation. After half a century of hiding from the world while
generating one of the world's most successful diasporas, India is now
back in the game. American newspapers make a big deal of outsourcing
service jobs through the internet and there is some substance to this.
India stands to become the next global centre for information services
using English as a common language. All of this is embryonic. But I
subscribe to this list to see if young avant-garde Indian intellectuals
(and their fellow travellers) show any awareness of the possibilities.
That's where I am coming from.

Keith