[Reader-list] Women in Trains - Postscript

Zainab Bawa coolzanny at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 10 14:04:24 IST 2004

Dear All,

This is a Postscript to my train research, the Sarai fellowship phase of
which is now over.

29th August 2004

I am in Srinagar. Back to square one is a phrase most appropriate for my
research process because I have come back to that very place which helped me
see my city differently. Srinagar city inspired me to look at issues of
crowd, identity, ownership and community, and I took to Mumbai's local
trains.
There is a sense of peace within me while I am in the Valley now. The Valley
is slow-paced - time drags on with each cup of Kashmiri salt tea. My mind
goes back to the local trains in Mumbai, the railway station being a site of
chaos, confusion, rush, commotion, hostility, understanding and
misunderstanding. And before me is the landscape of the Valley - the waters
of the Dal Lake, the benign and cruel mountain ranges of the Zabarwan and
Pir Panjal, the army and the civilians, the outsiders and the insiders. I
don't know which border I stand on.
In Mumbai, I stand on the border of Central Railway from the brink of which
I see the Western Railway, the Harbour Line and the City. I am part of the
crowds, yet I am apart. My eyes are watching them and maybe I am being
watched. The crowds are both personal and impersonal. I imagine I am an
observer, but I am a participant too.
The cinema of life is created everyday here on the local trains and it is a
film of ectasy and sorrow, of mundane and novelty, of excitement and
drudgery. There are parallels and contradictions. Each one of us embodies
and represents each of these shades. The space is not by itself and neither
are we by ourselves. Time stands tall, almighty! Time - holy be thy name,
your kingdom come, your will be done, on this earth as it is on this railway
station and in the trains!!!

8th August 2004

Shaizeen is my companion today as I travel from Kurla to Byculla. She is
about 5 years old, loves pungent food and is quite a grown up lady. Her
mother is a slave to her whims and fancies. Shaizeen demonstrates how she is
capable of taking good care of herself and ensuring that others around her
assist her when need be. She is nibbling away at the spicy peanuts while her
mother cribs about how she would not touch the dal at home saying it is too
pungent.
Shaizeen is one of the most fragile users of this city and of the trains. I
wonder whether the train is meant is meant for fragile people? Or does it
make fragile people 'strong'? The train is a cruel and nurturing space -
people say it is becoming selfish in today's times. What is this time? And
what is this time doing to the train space?

Attached in this postscript is a brief essay of the findings of the research
during the six month period. I would appreciate if people on this list could
come up with suggestions of avenues, ways and means in which the work could
proceed and the knowledge and information can spread and a dialogue
initiated.

With warm regards,
Zainab Bawa

Protect your PC from viruses. Enrich your online experience.
http://www.msn.co.in/onlinesecurity/ Get more from the internet.