[Reader-list] Re:Post-Beslan impossibilities-J.Bagchi

reyhan chaudhuri reyhanchaudhuri at eth.net
Sun Sep 12 05:19:25 IST 2004

Dear Friends ,
You are right ,even outside the sarai -ist postings  there has been almost luke warm reaction to Beslan as compared to Senior citizen crimes , hanging of the liftman rapist or even the the blue line running down a cyclist.
At our South Delhi Polytechnic for Women ,we did have an one minute silence for the Ossetian children,in the classrooms.I told the Nursery teacher trainees that we would definitely put a question on it in the next test and to read up the factual events.And ofcourse so many of us colleagues lit a candle on tuesday night....(7thSept)l ike rest of the world..

But there was something definitely missing.Is it fesible to zero in into the exact reason??The agitated ,shocked response was not there.The concerned  urgent discussions were not there.Even after the videotape being telecast or injured children shown running out...Not to mention the agonizing story carried by Indian express, about the mother who had to choose between her 2 yr old son and six yr old daughter.(Thank God! Atleast that had a happy ending.)..
Are we getting cold and immune?
Or
1)Sometimes things are too unnerving to be articulated.And we are tightlipped about it.
2.)It's a classic Indian response to tragedy.They are not really one of us.They are not our community or our caste.Not really are problem...apna to dekho phir doosron ki phikar karo;
3) They are foreigners aren't they? They don't have a real family life.They will go with anyone.They will not have the same attachment.They don't love and sacrifice like us .For us our chilren are everything.We Indian women will give up everything ,once chidren come,without even thinking...No?
4).The concern was diverted by the imperious curiosity,"Maam if uzbeks,tajiks,kazakhs,,,etc have been given their lands.Why aren't russians giving chechens chechenstan?"

Ofcourse for everybody's sake I do hope it's the first reason.Because children belong to all of us. They are a treasure beyond borders.They are something we all have to not  love and cherish .We must keep them safe and happy,come what may;
Regards,
but-with-contrition,
R.Chaudhuri