[Reader-list] Post - Beslan impossibilities

sanjay ghosh definetime at rediffmail.com
Sun Sep 12 22:58:18 IST 2004

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------

Jeebesh's call on the Beslan tragedy has elicited surprisingly little response. It's especially ironic after the reams of outpouring on Dhananjoy. Does it reinforce our societal preoccupation with celebrity and spectacle ? Is the mainstream media setting our agenda for discussion ? Maybe the problem lies with human lives becoming numbers. A bigger number outdoes yesterday's number.

Beslan seems to have disappeared from Indian newspapers already. It may come riding piggy back on the third  9-11 anniversary coverage but then maybe the latest Jakarta bombing will take it's place.

Irina has a point vis-a-vis Moscow's willingness to allow international camera crews. Consequently I guess the 'Wag the Dog' effect plays on us, with so many fake encounters around, our natural response is numbed by underlying suspicion. Putin's persistent insistence in avoiding a public enquiry (a la Bush Jr) and the drugging of 2 Beslan bound journalists** only adds to this theory.

On Monday (6 September), Ariel Sharon welcomed the Russian foreign minister, Sergei Lavrov, for a meeting about strengthening ties in the fight against terror. "Terror has no justification, and it is time for the free, decent, humanistic world to unite and fight this terrible epidemic," Sharon said. Even with the media bias for Israel, the Beersheba suicide bombing didn't quite blip, it took 10 women among it's 16 victims.