[Reader-list] Post - Beslan impossibilities

Danny Butt db at dannybutt.net
Tue Sep 14 02:31:51 IST 2004

Kia ora all

I agree with Sanjay that an appropriate response is to examine the news
cycle and this global flow of crisis content. This is not at all to downplay
the reality of Chechen horror for children as described by Reyhan, but to
remember that, in the Euro-American media at least, there was nothing to be
heard as what can only be described as genocide has been taking place in
Chechnya. So what drives our demand for news? After all, with appropriate
media support, we could spend most of our day tracking the various crises
taking place. There is something about the symbolic role of children that
serves to effectively block conversation about what is happening there. [As
one NZ blogger found out when trying to discuss the history of this
situation: he was bombarded with emails like "I CANT BELIEVE YOUR SUPPORTING
TERRORISTS. THEYRE KILLING CHILDREN FOR GODS SAKE." etc.]  I'm not sure what
the appropriate response is (and maybe thus, therefore, the silence) but I
am concerned at the appallingly naive reporting in this part of the world of
Putin's "get tough on terror by centralising executive power" line.

I've also been thinking about other colonial occupations. Putin's regime
apparently believes that he can eventually massacre enough of the Chechens
to solve "the problem". But the lessons from many other European colonies,
such as New Zealand (or e.g. Palestine) perhaps indicates that a decline in
sheer numbers will not mean the end of the anti-occupation consciousness. It
is perhaps more likely that the continued extermination will only increase
the moral force and political motivation of those supporting the Chechen
cause.

Thanks to Jeebesh for raising this issue.

Regards,

Danny

--
http://www.dannybutt.net

#place: location, cultural politics, and social technologies:
http://www.place.net.nz