[Reader-list] [Announcements] Invitation to Jagah

Monica Mody monica.mody at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 01:27:28 IST 2004

JAGAH: IN SEARCH OF SPACES

THE GENDER AND SEXUALITY EXHIBITION presented by the Nigah Media Collective

Venue: Arpana Fine Arts Gallery, Academy of Fine Arts and Literature
(4/6 Siri Fort Institutional Area, New Delhi 110049, tel : 91-011-2649
8070 / 2649 4444)

Date: 25-27 September 2004

Jagah is a space where one can hang out, meet people, talk and share
experiences, without having to struggle to fit. A jagah for expression
and mediations on gender and sexuality, on our bodies and our desires,
our silences – both chosen and imposed. A space one can claim as one's
own, one without judgments, one that is not just about "art", but
about creativity, expression, and resistance.

In mounting this multimedia exhibition, our aim is to bring to the
center expressions of gender and sexuality that are forced to live at
the margins. What does our gender mean to us? What does our sexuality
mean to us? How do we choose to express them/share them?  Where are
the hidden spaces within and between the labels of "gay", "straight",
"lesbian", "bisexual", "transgender", "man" and "woman"? What do these
names give us and what do they take away?

We seek to question the assumptions of desire and identity –
conceptions of normality, compulsory heterosexuality, the binaries of
"man" and "woman", inevitable and morally superior monogamy, notions
of which sex goes with which gender which goes with which body – that
try to impose ways of thinking about sexuality on all of us. Jagah is
where we break the silence(s) around our bodies and our sexualities,
both as an act of conscious resistance and as a means of exploration
and expression.

Highlights

Ø	Queer Salon: where nothing is excluded from conversation
Ø	Tactical Media Lab hosted by Sarai: explore, create art during the exhibition
Ø	Jagah's apna blog
Ø	Vidya Shah singing Bulle Shah
Ø	Photographs, paintings, poetry, films and much more

Who we are

Nigah is a group of people committed to opening up spaces for
discussions around gender and sexuality by using different forms of
media.

The exhibition is part of a broader movement against censorship that
includes artists, activists, filmmakers, writers, poets, cartoonists,
lawyers, teachers and students. Campaign Against Censorship seeks to
draw linkages between people and movements that have faced censorship,
and to explore the dynamics of similarity and dissonance between
censorship of films and other forms of expression including theatre,
art, literature, popular culture, press and reports by NGOs.

Contact

Email: nigahmedia at yahoo.com
Phone: 9811269257/ 9810253342
Website: http://www.geocities.com/nigahmedia

We hope to see you all at the Arpana Fine Arts Gallery next Saturday,
Sunday and Monday. Not merely to "see", but to hang out. Please spread
the word!

Warm regards,

Monica
for the Nigah Media Collective

--
Art can take our unexpressed thoughts and desires and fling them with
clarity and coherence on the wall, a sheet of paper, or against the