[Reader-list] Re: Agent Gmail

Captain Typo captain.typo at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 18:13:50 IST 2004

Dear Shivam,

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 19:52:29 +0530, Shivam <shivamvij at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Captain,
> I don't understand how the privacy issue should be worrying. As far as
> ads go, I find Gmail less intrusive than Yahoo! and Hotmail, or the
> big spammers that some Indian email services like Rediffmail and
> Indiatimes are.
 I do'nt like any of these providers, neither I am backing them.
Using filters of relative point of view, will only distort the
discussion.

Gmail  has changed its privacy policy in last six months of its starting.
 They have'nt clearly stated, what will happen in case government of
some rouge country asks for watching a certain addresses.

In case a mail is not copyrighted, after certain period of time
becomes a public property by US law.

Two major question arise, What does google do with my mail after
delete. If it does'nt delete, then where(in geographical sense) is
stored and whose jurisdication it comes under.

>                    Gmail's brand value has no doubt taken a beating - it
> had to, and Monica's delightful mail about the "invitations" that
> never cease to arrive in your account is illustrative of how Gmail has
> gone overboard with the "invitations" strategy. Despite all that, the
> reason I use Gmail is that it's better than any other mail service I
> have used. Conversations, archiving, the automatic address book system
> - it all helps me a lot. As I discovered the many ways in which Gmail
> was improving my mail experience, I marvelled at the genius of the
> people who made it. So who cares about brand value?

Taking discussion to more mundane cribs of gmail interface
Some things I miss in gmail.

The ability to display attached images or text inline.
The ability to search within text message attachments.
The ability to save drafts.
WAP access.
SMTP, POP3 or IMAP access.

So its not perfect, but it comes close.