[Reader-list] Tresspasses - Legality and Illegality

Zainab Bawa coolzanny at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 19 11:14:31 IST 2004

News Snippets - Times of India

These days, some of the news on the front page of the Times of India relates
to infrastructure in either Mumbai City or the metro cities in India. There
is this growing wave about cities becoming the hubs of economic capital and
migrations in the coming decades. The emphasis on cities is continuously
increasing - you can feel the pressure through the news! The main issue
under discussion and deliberation is the growing influx of migrants in the
city and the subsequent pressures on urban infrastructure. Water scarcities,
land shortages, lack of housing, growth of slums (and squalor - a
combination which Times of India loves to associate), felling of trees and
occupation of forest land by builders, etc. are the prominent urban news
items. With these shortages, the boundaries between insiders and outsiders
are becoming more and more stark - who owns and who can be disowned?

A piece of news some days ago talks about a group of eleven prominent
residents in the city who have filed a PIL asking that illegal encroachers
be removed from the voters' list. They believe that encroachments on railway
land and pavements prevent 'developmental work'. Political parties will not
remove illegal slums because those are their vote banks. The ruling parties
keep legalizing the slums. Subhash Bhende, litterateur and one of the
petitioners says, "We are not against slum dwellers, but against the
unauthorized slums that are obstructing infrastructural developments." He
believes that voting is not a constitutional right and under the
Representation of People's Act, in order to vote, you must fulfill two
conditions: you have to be over 18 years of age and an ordinary resident of
the area. Bhende therefore argues that election officials should not
register names of slum dwellers in the voters' list without inquiring into
the legal status of their residence. He adds, "You can't register yourself
as a voter by saying 'I live under the lamp-post'." Bhende's proposition is
that if these people cannot vote, the government will lose interest in them
and will not protect them. "We are not saying that they should be removed or
thrown out, we are just saying that this is a way of ending the viscous
cycle of increasing encroachments. We can't stop people from coming in the
city but at the same time, we have to find some way of solving the problem."
Jockin Aruptham, slum activist and Magsaysay award winner is on the other
side of the debate. He fears that this stand against slum dwellers and
migrants is only going to increase the existing divides in the city. He
says, "Today, if we take away the voting rights on the basis of where people
stay, tomorrow it could be on the basis of their religion or place of
origin."

Today's news talks about how the BMC has now dug out the old rule of fining
illegal hawkers a fine of Rs. 10,000. The news item reads as follows:
'Mumbai: For the first time, unlicensed hawkers in Mumbai may well be fined
a stiff Rs.10,000. A long-forgotten rule allows the civic administration to
impose this hefty amount. The corporation is now actively considering
imposing the fine as it finds it increasingly difficult to relocate hawkers
in the proposed hawking zones. Senior civic officials said the proposal
awaits the municipal commissioner's approval.
Currently, hawkers are fined Rs.300 to Rs. 400 and their confiscated goods
are returned within 48 hours of payment of the fine. On the directions of
the supreme court, the corporation has earmarked 236 hawking zones but is
finding it extremely difficult to relocate hawkers particularly those
entrenched near railway stations and busy junctions.'

When I read these news items, I wonder who is a migrant and who is a
resident? What kind of timeline are we talking about which legalizes our
presence and makes us 'legal residents'? With the burgeoning population
growth, I wonder whether there is truly anonymity or whether ghettos are
becoming increasingly distinct? These blurred lines of 'legality and
illegality', these sharp divides of residents and outsiders - who is
defining and dictating these shadow lines? Who decides? Who enforces? Who
acts?