[Reader-list] Students Stipends Workshop for Research on the City

Danny Butt db at dannybutt.net
Sun Sep 26 09:38:20 IST 2004

Kia ora,

I'd like to express my appreciation to Jeebesh, the Sarai programme and the
students for sharing the results of this panel. As discussed at your panel,
the question of who is allowed to produce knowledge is crucial, also
important is how knowledge is permitted to travel, and what knowledge we
encounter in the boundaries created through our own disciplinary practices
and interests (even those of us in interdisciplinary fields). For me, the
report is an exciting document of both Sarai's commitment to fostering the
open circulation of knowledge, and also to the quality and sophistication of
the work being carried out by young researchers in the region. I think many
would agree that such thoughtful engagement with questions of
disciplinarity, methodology, and social change are rare in the "Western
academic system". I look forward to continuing encounters with the work of
the participants in the future!

Best regards,

Danny

--
http://www.dannybutt.net

#place: location, cultural politics, and social technologies:
http://www.place.net.nz