[Reader-list] Re: how to get pop3 access from gmail

Isaac D W Souweine souweine at hawaii.edu
Fri Sep 24 17:31:50 IST 2004

With regards to Vivek's suggestion about circumventing major capitalist
email enterprises through the use of small-scale cooperatives:

About two years ago, I tried to ditch the major email providers, with
their spam and their restrictions and all the other shadiness, for an
account with riseup.net, which as far as I can tell is a small email
cooperative run by anarchist-leaning activists (not an effort to make
any specific characterization of this group, about which I now very
little, that was just my sense). On the plus side, the decision felt
extremely good (read: righteous). On the minus side, though riseup
seems to have a good philosophy (generally speaking) and is definitely
making an effort to provide top quality service, I found that the load
times were extremely slow and the occasional outages and other problems
that arose from the fact that the people who run the service are
obviously not doing it as a full time job, made use of riseup more
inconvenient than was worth it.

Thankfully, I now have access to excellent webmail from the University
of Hawaii, which at least is spam and ad free. But my riseup experience
did not exactly get me, a simple little end user, amped about bucking
the system. Email at this point is a mission critical application. It
needs to be fast and versatile and constantly updated viz. feature
sets. I am not an expert on privacy issues and so I can't contribute to
that side of the discussion, but I'm wondering whether the privacy
issues really justify trying to keep pace with corporate interests who
are happy to pour money and expertise into providing us this service.

That said, I would love to hear from privacy wonks or open sourcers who
would be interested in telling me how/why:

1. Im putting my personal information in extreme jeopardy
2. It wouldn't actually be so much work to create cooperatives that
evaded the current dominant providers.

Yours,
Isaac