[Reader-list] Re: how to get pop3 access from gmail

Vivek Narayanan vivek at sarai.net
Fri Sep 24 18:08:42 IST 2004

Isaac--

(By the way, the initial suggestion was Shekhar Krishnan's.)

I take it as a given that any new initiative, like Linux itself at one
point, will be ragtag and shambolic, but this does not mean that it
could flourish at some point in the future, with enough imaginative
input and problem solving.  So you have a point, and I'm not thinking of
getting webmail from my nearest anarchist collective any time soon
(unless you count Sarai itself as a kind of buttoned-up collective) but
the question is, has one the will to envision it, or do we just cede the
possibility in the interest of present contigency?  Perhaps it's already
too late?

Also-- I wonder if there could be other reasons for circumventing
corporate mail other than privacy, because I'm not so sure that a
non-corporate collective would allow any more privacy-- probably less,
if anything-- and could be tapped and knocked by governments just like
the big boys routinely are.

V.