[Reader-list] Happy New Sindhi Year

Vivek Narayanan vivek at sarai.net
Tue Apr 12 13:49:23 IST 2005

Why thank you for asking about Zambia.  Hardly anyone does.  But, since
Zambia is a largely Christianized nation home to over seventy self- and
anthropologist-identified linguistic communities, the new year falls,
rather disappointingly, on January 1.  As does the "Indian" new year.

I suppose a lot depends on why someone posts a given message to the list.

If such a message was a nearly-unintended side-effect of pressing the
"send all" button in your address book, then I ask, as a fellow-member,
to please, please, kindly desist.  Nobody likes gratuitous email; some
would even call it spam.

If the message was meant as an assertion of community, an attempt to
reach out and hello to Sindhis whether they be in Panama City, Monaco or
Saigon, then surely there would be other forums where that message might
be more efficiently conveyed?

If the message was a way of announcing the sender's presence and
identity on the list, of greeting non-Sindhis and making common cause,
then I find it most welcome!  But with just a little bit of extra
annotation, please.   What is the specific reason for posting it to a
discussion of media and the urban?  What does the day mean to you, what
resonances does it have?  This would be most appreciated.

And as for me, I believe it can be scientifically proven that every new
day is also a potentially new year.

Time to make some more resolutions,
Vivek