[Reader-list] Beeti Vibhavri Jaag Ri

Vijender chauhan chauhan.vijender at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 23:39:10 IST 2005

Namaskar,

In past month or so I alongwith the some very helpful friends have
made pre dawn visits to some of the well known (and some lesser known)
spaces of the city. Text has limitation I plan to post some images at
some blog, as soon as I am able to do it I'll provide link. For now I
am suggesting how me and some of my creative friends have read the
turns, silence, chirping of the city. I am mentioning name of the
space and how it was viewed:
High Mast Lights at JANPATH:  City as sea of lights-
infinite...endless...sea. In fact you 'see' darkness only because
there are High Mast light houses to show you. In fact it can be safely
said that metropolitan darkness is where artificial light is absent.

Chhatra Marg (DU Campus) :  a long tunnel to eternity . Yellow line on
the road tries not so succesfully to create symmetry which do not
exit. (This road in any case devides a lot, ...Arts faculty from the
Sciences, Nirulas from the Vivekananda, Miranda House Hostel from the
PG Woman Hostel)
I also felt that this really sleepy road should take us to The bavri
(well with stairs) where that Brahmrakshas is washing his sin (sorry
you all profs at university) here i hops to some other visit i made a
few weeks eariler same time (pre dawn) to Bab Kharak Singh Marg (Idea)
was to sense the coffee house building at Mohan Singh palace, but I
ended up staring down at stairs to the subway opposite coffee home. I
have got the image, I tell you its a Bavri as well, quite literally.
It was lined with people sleeping or may be making themselves beleive
that they took their share of dreams. Who is the Brahamrakshas there,
we? I am too scared to answer it.
Under a High tension Wire at Laxmi Nagar :  I studied Electrical
Engineering at Polytechnic and beleive me I wasn't a bad student so I
can figure out that High tension AC transmission will certainly make
sound. So whats the point in mentioning that HT wires at Laxmi Nagar
makes loud humming sound.  But I still insist that it is worth
listening. It is the music that city night produces. It is mysterious
because during daytime it is lost in noise. I am upset that my
cassette recorder predictable failed to record the sound.
Then there is Bhola Yadav. Watchman at Janpath. Bhola is around 40-45
years of age and going by latest row in BJP/RSS he is younger then
'young' alternatives of Advani /Vajpayee but first few pages of Godaan
describes how age is not so natural. It is constructed, Hori can't be
young at 40 nor can be Bhola Yadav. Bhola spends his night guarding a
showroom. He views this city as rozi-roti. He is not nostalgic about
Ghemar his village in eastern UP. Now I know him a little better. My
meeting with him this sunday (pre) dawn was sixth one. I interviewed
him now a days I am working on this interview itself.

I request once again to you all to suggest writings, drawings,
paintings, music, films, photographs, graffiti, kahavats, galis...
whatever that you believe is expression of Delhi's time in space or
Delhi's space in time. But to limit my work whatever you suggest
should have occurred, capture or describe pre dawn Delhi (3-4 AM).

Thanx
Vijender