[Reader-list] Beeti Vibhavri Jaag Ri

jha sadan jhasadan at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 13 12:17:00 IST 2005

Dear Vijender,
I liked your piece on cityscapes and think that your project is quite
interesting. To me what is more interesting in your two postings on 'Beeti
Vibhavri Jaag Ri' is your anxiety on how to represent these cityscapes. It
is precisely on this issue i would like reflect my own impressions here.
You have been working with abstract concepts, categories and figures in your
postings and you enter into poetic. I fine it both as the strength of your
reflections as it allows me, as a reader to travell into spaces which are
not merely confined into the fields of play of the cityscapes that you are
attamepting to narrate here. Hence figures like Brahmrakshas and Hori
provoke a reader to move out of the context and enter into the realm of
literary and mythical while engaging with the city. In fact, one can argue
that the engagement with the subject, in this case, with cityscapes is just
an excuse to open up the field of cultural stereotypes which influence our
ways of dealing with images of city and which actually triggers our
imaginations of the city (scapes).But, Let me also complicate this enagement
with abstarct categories and forms.
Abstarct words, terms as used by you to open up the field are devoid of
details. In this sense, abstarct sentences are also empty lines and appear
as leading to nowhere. They cannot lead one anywhere. let me take one
example from your posting. you write,
"High Mast Lights at JANPATH:  City as sea of lights-
infinite...endless...sea. In fact you 'see' darkness only because
there are High Mast light houses to show you. In fact it can be safely
said that metropolitan darkness is where artificial light is absent".
If I replace, Janpath with any otehr place, the sentence will remain the
same. In this case, we hardly get the character of the place. In fact, the
richness of the place is lost in the narratives of space. You are dealing
with places which are physically rooted spaces. The challenge is how to
preserve the thickness of and the particularities of places. How not to be
consumed by the spaces.
In my opinion, this tension between space and place is quite central in your
project. In the writings on landscape aesthetics, scholars have written a
lot on the relationship between space and place. I strongly suggest you to
have a look at some of these writings.
I must again confess that i am not suggesting you to abandon the form that
you have adopted to represent your subject and start using thick
description, a well recognised way of representing the subject in
anthropological discourses especially after Geertz.
This is actually where I believe that wild jumps and use of poetic language
can be helpfull and will provide new ways of dealing with images of the
city. The question however remains,  is it possible to bring thick
description ( that can allow the particularities of place to emerge before a
reader) and the poetic ( that can open the text in different direction,
giving rise to new imaginary fields).
Finally, I would also request you to try and avoid binaries. In your
description it seems that binaries are actually freezing the flow of images
that you intend to generate through the use metaphors.
let me add few more provocations: can we look at traffic signals as city
scapes?

"Dilli ke na the kooche, auraak e musabbar the
jo shakl nazar aayi, tasvir nazar aayi ( Mir Taqi Mir)".

wishes,
sadan.