[Reader-list] ambedkar jayanti

Rahul Asthana rahul_capri at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 16 20:19:36 IST 2005

Shivam,
This is a larger issue,(and I may even be deviating
from your original subject) and this is only one
aspect of the problem.Lets see if we can spark some
debate.I am having a debate with a person elsewhere
and here are some contentions arising from that-
a) The so called leftists who deem that the Hindu
right are the "only" danger to the society are making
the chasms in the society wider."Only" is the
operative word here.
b)The model of incremental secularism that we
practice-(Start with same Cr P C and Penal Code and
then continue evolving with time towards common Civil
Code) is not the correct model. It seems to place a
larger burden of secularism on the majority
(separating religion from politics) than the minority.
It seems ironic that it is the Hindu right who are the
only entity demanding a uniform civil code, which is
essentially a civil libertarian construct.
This may be a reason why the term "pseudo secular" is
gaining so much currency nowadays.
c)It may very well be that the leftists are against
Hindu right in not just a political setting; but
against Hinduism as a  culture and all the cultural
and ideological dogma associated with it and which
belongs to all Indians(as against the Hindu religion).
There is an excellent article by Meera Nanda on this
topic.
Read it here.
http://sacw.insaf.net/DC/CommunalismCollection/ArticlesArchive/MeeraNandaJuly2001.html
But then the statement of the problem has to be done
in a more articulate way.The more the Hindus think
that they are singled out for becoming secular, the
more the communal chasms are going to increase.
It will be  interesting to hear other thoughts on this
issue.
Cheers
Rahul

http://mallroad.blogspot.com/2005/04/free-speech-hate-speech-and.html