[Reader-list] Realism and Cinema

Yousuf ysaeed7 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 19 16:48:52 IST 2005

Besides others, look at the following recent book that
has some interesting essays, including on realism.

Encyclopaedia of Hindi Cinema
(Published by Encyclopædia Britannica India)

There is nothing quite like Hindi cinema anywhere in
the world. As more and more Mumbai filmmakers
recognize the need to use the medium with greater
intelligence and precision, scholars of mass culture
have begun to perceive Hindi films not merely as
vehicles of undemanding assembly-line entertainment
but also as robustly colourful celebrations of the
cultural and musical mosaic that is India. This
exhaustive encyclopaedia looks as much at the trends
and techniques of filmmaking in Mumbai as at the
personalities who shaped the industry into what it is
today.

The Encyclopaedia of Hindi Cinema seeks to capture
some of the excitement of Hindi films by presenting a
holistic, informed view of India’s popular cinema.
Starting off with a historical analysis of Hindi films
in the form of seven essays, the book goes on to
provide insights into various aspects of the
industry’s internal dynamics. The book brings together
an array of experts, who either have first-hand
knowledge of the craft of filmmaking or have observed
the industry from close quarters for decades. The idea
is to capture the big picture in a manner that is both
informative and entertaining, and not proffer a dry,
clinical study of Hindi films.

With that end in mind, the encyclopaedia focuses as
much on the stars and directors as it does on films
and movements. Indeed, the book is rounded off with a
comprehensive section that throws light on the work of
the towering individuals whose contributions to Hindi
cinema in their respective areas of specialization
have been second to none. One unique section of the
encyclopaedia, the Milestones, is devoted entirely to
interviews with legendary Hindi film personalities.
The interview with Ashok Kumar was completed a few
weeks before the demise of the respected actor.

Highlights

Produced under the editorial guidance of Gulzar,
Govind Nihalani and Saibal Chatterjee
Thirty-four essays written by an array of experts who
provide insights into various aspects of the
industry’s internal dynamics
Twenty-one milestones that bring interviews with those
legendary personalities who have influenced the
dynamics of the industry

Two hundred biographies that provide informative
snapshots of leading film personalities and their
important films

Product Details

ISBN: 81-7991-066-0
Approx. 600 pages
Book size: 276 X 216 mm
Actual Price: 2700/- (INR) inclusive of all taxes.

For further details e-mail us at shop at ebindia.com or
call us at +91 - 11 - 51828194-97