[Reader-list] Realism and Cinema

Rashmi Sawhney rashmi.sawhney at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 17:04:54 IST 2005

Thanks, Yousuf. I'll have a look at the book you suggest.
A specific question that I'm thinking about is about the dynamics
between realism and melodrama in Indian cinema. Could a film that uses
continuity editing, and a classic Hollywood style of realism as its
guiding cinematic technique also allow for the resolution of the
conflict in the plot/theme to occur outside a rational reality?
Perhaps using the modes of Indian melodrama? To take an example, a
film like Nihalani's Dev carefully follows classic Hollywood realist
guidelines, yet the dialogue between secularism/fundamentalism is
resolved only through the death of both ideologies (and their
signifiers).
Therefore, would Dev be more suitably classified as a realism-based or
melodrama-based film? Look forward to hearing some views.

Best,
Rashmi