[Reader-list] [water] Fisherpeoples' protest in Delhi

Rob van Kranenburg kranenbu at xs4all.nl
Mon Apr 25 18:53:48 IST 2005

Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 14:09:03 +0200
To: right-to-water at iatp.org
Subject: [water] Fisherpeoples' protest in Delhi

From: initiative at riseup.net

Press release
24.4.2005

PLEASE LET US LIVE

Fisherpeoples' indefinite dharma in Delhi from 25th April 2005

The fisheries sector in India has been undergoing drastic changes from one
extreme to another. We have Catamarans with sail on one hand and deep-sea
industrial fishing fleet on the other.  About 90% of fisherpeople, who depend
on fishing for livelihood, are catching only 30% of 3 million tonnes of fish
available annually. The remaining 70% of the catch goes to the mechanised
fishing sector benefiting only the profiteering entrepreneurs. Uncontrolled
mechanisation resulted in destruction of resource base by   bottom trawlers and
purse-seiners. Government is again trying to bring big/industrial
vessels in the
guise of resource specific deep-sea fishing. High power Murari Committee
recommendation - result of a national consensus on marine fishing and accepted
by the Union Cabinet on 27th September 1997 - has been sent to the cold store.
Our seas and coastal zone - our fishing grounds and habitats - are being given
away to private companies and corporations. We are evicted from our traditional
occupation in the name of environment, industry, tourism,
beautification etc. We
are driven out of our age-old settlements for the benefit of land mafias.

We had been running from pillar to the post with our 42 points Charter of
demands for last five years. We have knocked at the doors of four successive
Agriculture Ministers, two Ministers for Environment and Forest, two Ministers
for Petroleum and Natural Gas and above all the Prime Minister of India again
and again. Each time we have been given assurances and promises by the
honourable leaders of the country, which have seldom been honoured. Those who
walked out of the parliament in support of our struggle have done precious
little when they got to remain 'shining' in power for five years! In the
meantime our plights have gone bad to worse. We always remain susceptible to
natural calamities. Death and damage caused by the killer tsunami on 26th
December 2004 shocked the world. Tsunami left more than 20,00,000 people
uprooted and hapless in our coastline. But occupational and other long-term
rehabilitation of the victims still remains a far cry.

Change of Government generated great aspirations. The CMP of the UPA Government
pledges to:

"enhance the welfare and well being of farmers, farm labour, workers,
particularly those in the unorganised sector, and assure a secure future for
their families in every respect" and "to provide for full equality of
opportunity particularly in education and employment for scheduled castes,
scheduled tribes, OBCs and religious minorities."

But it is a matter of great regret that (a) the future of 10,000 fishermen of
Jambudwip has been written off by the MoEF (b) thousands of fishermen are
evicted from coastal towns and city slums along with other poor people (c)
Sethusamudram mega project - with the potential of destroying vast fishing
community - has been cleared (d) once buried Umbergaon Port project has been
resurrected. (e) the ghost of foreign fishing vessels  started peeping into
Indian waters in the name of  'New Deep-sea  Fishing Policy'. All these
happened during the present UPA Government!

We have once again come to the capital to urge upon the Government and the
people of India and their representatives that we have been rendered to the
status of "endangered species" and are racing fast to the verge of extinction.
The nation has a responsibility to see that we too have a right to live a
decent and peaceful life. Once again we are putting forward our demands to the
Government. We shall begin and continue to remain in Dharna in Jantar Mantar,
New Delhi from 25th April 2005 onward till our demands are met. Our demands
are:

·        Supply Kerosene at subsidised rate

·        Restore livelihood of fishermen in Jambudwip

·        Step up grant & expedite tsunami rehabilitation

·        Stop import of foreign fishing vessel

·        Ban industrial aquaculture

·        Enact Fishing Regulation for EEZ

·        Scrap Sethusamudram Project

·        Protect and conserve fishing grounds from oil exploration

·        Scrap Umbergaon port

·        Waive road tax on diesel for fishing boats

·        Stop eviction of fisherpeople in the name of development

·        Release fishermen and fishing boats from Pak custody

·        Fishermen are part of marine ecosystem, Protect shark, turtle as well
as fishermen.

·        Implement the Coastal Regulation Zone, Notification1991.

·        Frame legislation empowering the fisher people to own and manage water
bodies.

We call upon all fisherpeople of the country to organise rally, public meeting,
dharna, blockade, picketing and other forms of continuous agitation in support
of Delhi dharna from 25th April onwards. We request all labour organisations,
student, youth, farmers, intellectuals, social activists,CSOs and other
sections of society to support our struggle for survival.

NFF - ZINDABAD.

Thomas Kocherry
Harekrishna Debnath
N.D.Koli