[Reader-list] The Vedavatis of this world

Tapas Ray tray at cal2.vsnl.net.in
Sun Aug 7 07:29:55 IST 2005

First, I did not claim to be an avid reader of the things being posted here.
On the contrary, I said I HAVE NOT read everything that has been posted.

Second, "the process" is a good thing, but because it is such a good thing,
it needs to be protected. "Eternal vigil is the price of freedom". If we
believe in "the process", we should defend it, not only from those who
openly say they are fighting to end it and blow up police jeeps to prove it,
but also from those who use it as a short or medium term tactical move, in
order to ultimately destroy it and install in its place their own utopias,
whether it is "Ram Rajya" or the "classless society". We should not forget
that the Bolsheviks, and after them the Nazis, used "the process" to subvert
it so effectively. The same tactics are being used by both flanks of the
political spectrum in India, and there is no need to see the Sarai list - or
any list for that matter - as a space that completely transcends the mundane
space of day-to-day politics.

Tapas Ray
Calcutta