[Reader-list] response to Roger Das

Vivek Narayanan vivek at sarai.net
Wed Aug 10 15:01:51 IST 2005

Hi,

As a coordinator of the independent fellowship programme at Sarai, I
would like to respond to the mail below and make some important
clarifications.  Hopefully these will be of use to future applicants as
well as to members of the reader-list community.

1.  Firstly, I would like to reiterate that the reader-list is an
*unmoderated* list.  This means that no one at Sarai approves or rejects
mails based on their content.  However, we insist on postings only in
plain text and not html format; the reason for this is partly to prevent
the spread of viruses and other malicious files.   Dear Roger, a quick
look at our archives shows that your messages were all in html format,
and a return message was sent to you asking for you to resend the
message in plain text format, which you did not do.  So in future,
please be sure to set your mail client to send messages in plain text
and not html, and there will not be any problem with posting.

It goes without saying that on an unmoderated list such as ours, the
members are themselves responsible for ensuring a high standard of
discussion, and avoiding vindictive or personal attacks.

2.  Independent fellowship applications are carefully read and vetted by
a large committee with diverse interests.  Selections are made on the
basis of the quality and relevance of the proposal and not for any other
reason; we have found that the involvement of a diverse and closely
engaged committee helps to ensure this.

3.  If an i-fellows proposal addresses the same general topic that has
already been covered by an earlier project, this is not necessarily
grounds for disqualification.  What we would look for in the new project
is that it approaches the old theme from a different angle or
methodology, and that it complements or adds to the earlier work in an
interesting and valuable way.  Thus, we are able to build a growing body
of related research, rather than just having scattershot and singular
attempts.

4.  In the case of the project you refer to, Roger, it was selected
partly because of the rich, sophisticated and nuanced quality of the
writing in the proposal, the distinctiveness of its approach (informed
by literature, filmmaking practice and ethnography) and, also, because
it showed the participants had already done detailed preparatory
research and visits to the graveyard/crematorium in question, prior to
applying.  The focus of the work on a single site was also a factor,
because it meant the research could more likely be feasibly completed in
the fellowship period.  Furthermore, we do indeed consider all of the
selected projects as addressing topics that are useful and relevant to
our own work and the intellectual depth of our networks, especially
since there are virtually no other funding avenues in the Indian context
for much of the research that we support.

5.  It is extremely unfair and sexist to suggest that fellows are given
preference on the basis of their gender.  We recently did a detailed
statistical analysis of the gender ratio in all the years of the
fellowship program and found that, both overall and in individual years,
slightly more men than women received the fellowship; this matches up
with the national sex ratio.  Since all the fellowships are listed on
our website, you're welcome to do the math yourself.

Lastly, I would like to say that we are sorry if we have alienated or
offended any of the applicants to the programme whose proposal was not
selected.  Last year, for instance, we received more than 450
applications; subjectivity is an integral part of the selection process
in the humanities, arts and social sciences; we may well err in
rejecting very good proposals every year, and we have a cap on the
number of projects we can fund.  At the same time, we continue to be
excited by the proposals we have selected, and by the sheer range of the
fellows' themes, approaches, and backgrounds.

Yours,
Vivek.