[Reader-list] Aijaz Gul on the Cinema in Pakistan:History, PresentScenarioandFutureProspects

mohd arshad arshad.mcrc at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 21:48:59 IST 2005

*Aijaz Gul on the Cinema in
Pakistan:History,PresentScenarioandFutureProspects* * *

Hailing from a family of film exhibitors, Aijaz Gul is the leading film
critic and historian of Pakistan.He has been writing on films for last
eighteen years in the Pakistani as well as foreign media and has three books
on Cinema to his credit. The last Managing Director of the now defunct
government-run National Film Development Corporation of Pakistan, AIjaz Gul
spoke to Arshad Amanullah on the sidelines of the recently concluded
Osian-Cinefan Film Festival.

  1.Why Lollywood,Pakistan's once thriving film industry,is now in terminal
decline?

 Answer:

Well,that's true that Pakistani film industry has enjoyed a boom after
Independence.The fact is that the film industry in Lahore didn't come into
inception in 1947.Lahore was a thriving capital of films,especially Punjabi
films and many notable filmmakers were working there before 1947.Pakistan's
first film *'Teri Yaad'* actually started before Independence but it was
released in 1948.It was diredted by Dawood.It was a very bad film but it
made the beginning.There were so many people who sacrificed their glowing
careers in Mumbai in late 40s and migrated to Pakistan.Some of the notable
people who came from Mumbai to Lahore were: Noorjahan,Shaukat Hussain
Rizvi,Sohan Lata,Nazeer and Nisar Bazmi.Likewise,many people left Lahore for
Mumbai.So,that was the evantuality of Partition.After the Independence of
Bangladesh in1971,cinemas which were in that part what we used to call East
Pakistan,are of course not with us any more.Cinemas in Pakistan,at least in
metros, are located at the very choicest places.So with the passage of
years, the value of property has increased.And with alternative leisures
like cables,DVDs,CDs,and amusemenet parks,people now have other
options.Sothe cinema-going has faced a
crisis.The number of cinemas which we have now is about more than 500 and
almost half of them are not working regularly.Piracy has no
limits.Indianfilms are some times availanble here even prior to their
release in
India.You know,today's Hindi is very closed to Urdu.So when you have this
new film in a language even which is spoken in Pakistan,Urdu films have
suffered.But,interestingly,25 Pashto films have been produced last year
while there was a time when about 10-12 films were produced.And may be the
reason is that India(..laughs...) has not produced Pashto films.There is a
saying that if Americans spoke Spanish,Britain would have a film industry
and I say: if India spoke Persian,Pakistan would have a film industry.

 2.Why does Lollywood,in terms of technology and expertise,lag behind
Bollywood?

 Answer:

When the times were good,people invested in film related activities.Now when
we are facing a lean time,obviously the people who are in the film trade,
have shied away.The tragic part is that all those people who took the
industry across decades after the Independence, have passed away. So when
the production rate is not very high and the box-office ratio is very poor
then of course there is no investment in equipments

 3.But where is the new generation?

 Answer:

The new generation is definitly there but I just want to mention some of the
very notable directors like Anwar Kamal Pasha who was the total
filmmaker.Hewas the first filmmaker in early 50s who directed,produced
and scripted
films like *Do Aansu*,*Gumnam*,*Qatil*,and *Anarkali*.He was in a way the
first Pakistani director.There were rebellious filmmakers like Riaz Shahid
and Khalil Qaisar who made films against the British Imperialism.

 4.Rebellious in what sense?

 Answer:

Khalil Qaisar was rebellious because he was against the currupt
system,whether it was British Raj or the Pakistani Government. Riaz Shahid
was a writer and also became the director but essentially he was
collaborating with director Khalil Qaisar.They took Tanveer Naqvi as their
lyricist,used Faiz Ahmed Faiz's poetry,used Rasheed Attre as composer.So it
was the whole team.Riaz Shahid kept on writing against the vices of the
system and the curruption in the establishment.

  5..They used different countries as the background of their films?

 Answer:

Yes.They took the subject of Palestine,Andalus,Kashmir. *Shaheed* deals with
the British curruption in the Middle East.Khalil Qaisar did not live
long.Hemade
*Shaheed*,*Farangi*,*Naga*n,*Havel*i,and about two or three more films and
passed away in a very tragic way.So,Riaz Shahid took over and he did
continue with his revolutionary scripts and films.His film '*Zarqa*' dealt
with the independence of Palestine,'*Gharnata*' dealt with Muslims in Spain
and *'Yeh Amn'* dealt with Kashmir.He died in 1972.As he had to face very
serious problems with the censor board,many people think that he died becaue
of the system. His son Shaan,who is now playing in films as a leading
man,says:"*Mere baap ko cancer ne nahin,censor ne maara*" ..

.

6.It means that they wanted to glorify the Muslim past?

 Answer:

In a way,yes.Riaz Shahid wanted to do that time and again.But he also made
films like '*Gunahgaar*' which takes place in Pakistan.It deals with treason
and has corruption at its centrestage.

 7.How did he deal with the ordinary people.,i.e.the masses of Pakistan?

 Answer:

Well.*'Clerk'* would be a good example of dealing with the poverty of an
ordinary clerk who would not subscribe to curruption,to bribe and palm
greasing and who lives by his own rules.But he is consistently bugged by his
wife who wants more and more material goods and eventually he catches
TB.Sothat was a good
subject.But it didn't do very well at the box-office because it was very sad
and very grim..

  8. How did the ban on the Hindi films in Pakistan affect Lollywood?

 Answer:

There was a time when over hundred films were produced in Pakistan and they
were doing very well.Indian films were being released every month.Cinemas in
Pakistan were enjoying the boom in the 60s. Shortly after the second
Indo-Pak war,Indian films were banned in Pakistan.Cinema owners didn't raise
their voices against the ban because they benifitted economically and
Pakistani films were doing very well then.All the original filmmakers who
had laid the foundation of Pakistani cinema and their patrons have now
passed away,the number of films have reduced and the quality has gone
down.Only 25 Urdu and Pujabi films were produced last year.So the cinemas
are falling short of films.Thus, the exhibitors are right in asking to lift
the ban.I think umbrella protection has had its ill-effects.

 9.There is tremendous demand of Indian films in Pakistan.So why does the
Governmet of Pakistan not lift the ban ?

Answer:

You do know that filmmaking is not just art and technology.It's also a big
business.The Government of Pakistan knows this and it wants to make it as a
part of trade or may be it is waiting for still better times when people
would still get even more closer.

 10.Is there any chance of collaboration between Bollywood and Lollywood?

 Answer:

The PM of Pakistan met the members of the film industry on June 13 and said
that he was all for collaboration between
India,Pakistan,Bangladesh,Iran,Nepal,

Sri Lanka.I think India and Pakistan are joining hands indirectly.Some of
the good films which had been produced in recent years, have collaborated
with India for their production and post-production.They have used Indian
singers: Udit Narayan,Kumar Shaanu and Kavita
Krishnamurthy.Forchoreography, Indian art directors have been
hired.So I think co-production,i.e.collaboration is already taking place.

 11 What similarity do you find in cinemas of India and Pakistan?

 Answer:

In India, there are Hindi films and there are regional films. I've been
enjoying Art films by directors like Shyam Benegal and Satyajit
Ray.Butfilms which are being produced today in Mumbai,many of them are
banal:they
lack subtlety and common sense,they are weak in script,imagination and
aesthetic values.An educated and intelligent person looks for these things
in a good film.However,Bollywood movies are rich in music, production
values,cinematography and editing.They are big in terms of budgeting and
casting.because super stars have their own appeal.The average viewer is
carried away by all these gimmicks.He does not go into *script ki
baarikiyaan which is * not there in most of the films.He just enjoys the
music,the actresses and the witty dialogues and like to forget each and
every thing for those two and half hours.Interestingly,Bollywood flicks are
more popular in Pakistan than Lollywood productions because Hindi films are
technically superior to their Lollywood counterparts.Another reason is that
cinemas of both countties have the same ingredients of dance and song
sequence, comedy,marriages,parents, the system and police.So like an Indian
viewer,an average Pakistani also gets his kicks from these highly
melodramatic contents.

 12..How will the exchange of artists shape film industry of both countries?

 Answer:

There is fear in Pakistan that if the Pakistani artists go to work in
Bollywood,they will be swallowed by the industry and will lose their
indentity and star values,and hence,their bargaining power.But I don't
subscribe to the opinion, because for one thing, its true that Sawan kumar
gave a very small role to Talat Hussain in

*Sautan Ki Beti*.Likewise, Manoj Kumar invited Zeba and Muhammad Ali to
Mumbai to work in his production *Clerk* ,and their roles were very
brief.But these are petty matters and we should not be talking about
them.Myhat is off to Mahesh Bhatt because Meera is seen in
*Nazar* from beginning to the end.I would say (..laughs..): Mahesh Bhatt
should have reduced her.However,it's a very average film and the subject is
not very original.I think nobody should worry about small roles or
insignificant contribution.Let's start and make a beginning.

 13.How Lahore has reacted to anti-Pakistan films churned out by Bollywood?

 Answer:

Well,this reminds me of President Musharraf who, in one of his interactions
with journalists from India and Pakistan,said(laughs):'No more entire
Pakistani films.I expect that you would not make those films anymore'.But
India,as an independent country, has the right to make the kind of films the
filmmakers want to make.However,they should care about their customers and
audiences in Pakistan, and they should start making films differently from
what they have shown in *LOC*, *Ghadar* , *Maa Tujhe Salam *
etc.Pakistanhas also played its negative role in films like
*Tere Pyar Mein*, *Ghar Kab Aaoge*, and *Ladki Punjaban*.Neighbouring
country bashing might momentarily get cheap claps from the front-benchers
but it's friendship and going together which helps in long run.We have to
live together as the former Prime Minister Vajpayee said that you can change
the friends but you cann't change the neighbours.So, we must work together
into the future

 14.What are the stereotypes the Pakistani cinema generally plays on?

 Answer:

There are many hackneyed characters.There are sterotype mothers,fathers and
dialogues which are also in Indian films like:'Ye shaadi nahin ho
sakti'.There are stereotype situations,i.e.formula situations.There are
stereotype lawyers,judges and courts.I was nailed by Yash Chopra in *Veer
Zara* .I applaud three cheers for Mr.Yash Chopra for making this film which
is a right move at right time but there were certain things,especially the
climax sequence which unfolds in the court,could have been done differently.

 15.Does Lollywood have stereotypes along ethnic lines?

 Answer:

Yes,speaking of North West Frontier Province,there is an actor called Badar
Muneer who has been working in films since 1970 and he just could not step
out what he has been doing for last 35 years.Sometimes he is brought into
Urdu films as a Pathan who is speaking Urdu and, of course,with his own
accent and delivery.So we have those stereotypes.

 16.To what extent,the Kara International Film Festival which has already
seen its four successful years,can contribute in creating a quality film
culture in Pakistan?

 Answer:

There are upcoming filmmakers who are making their films on digitals.:Hassan
Zaidi,Bilal Minto,Faisal Rehman and Mehjabeen Jabbar are just four or five
names.Their works *Javed Champu*,*Raat Chali Jhum Ke* ,*Beauty Parlour* etc
stand testimony to the fact that these new filmmakers,are a future asset of
Pakistan.Inspite of having budget restraints, they are doing good
job.KaraFilm Festival which is being held in every December for last
four years,has
been providing them a platform to show their work, and let me tell you that
Kara Film Festival has been making maximum efforts to bring Bollywood
celebrities.In future,it would be a joint launching pad for Indian and
Pakistani filmmakers.

 17.Do you have magazines that publish serious stuff about the showbiz?

 Answer:

Yes,we have specific film magazines and we also have film editions in very
distinguished national dailies.Dawn,News and Nation have weekly film
supplements. All major Urdu dailies like Nawa-e-Waqt and Jung, and then
weeklies like Akhbar-e-Jahan,have film sections. Noor Jahan and Nigar,both
from Karachi and Filmi Parcha edited by Tariq Lodhi from Lahore are weekly
magazines and they exclusively deal with films.But serious film criticism is
lacking and we need to work on that. Anyone who has earned a degree in
journalism,is not qualified to write on films.I think you should be
thoroughly trained in the film history and in film appreciation and only
then you should write on films.

 18.What concerted efforts are being made to promote a vibrant film culture
in Pakistan?

 Answer:

Well,in last three years there has been a revolution in the media.New TV
channels and radio stations are coming up in the private sector.There is a
mass communication department in Fatima Jinnah University which is for
women.These young ladies are making short films on very challeging subjects
as part of their curriculum.Geo Television of Jung Group,National College of
Arts and many other institutes are coming up with courses in films Lahore
and Karachi.So the beginning has already been madeStudents are already
making films with a very very modest budget.Hopefully,in two or three
years,they will be in the market as well as they will be shown in the
festivals.

 (For the whole interview contact :arshad.mcrc at gamil.com)

Aijaz Gul

Shabistan Cinema