[Reader-list] Re: [Urbanstudy] Re: Problematizing Definitions

Prem Chandavarkar prem at cnt-semac.com
Thu Dec 22 10:47:14 IST 2005

Let me - like Anant - stick my neck out in "the presence of a whole
bunch of cultural studies folks".

Was just reading Gayathri Spivak's essay "Can The Subaltern Speak".
Spivak examines philosophical production, such as Foucault, Deleuze and
the Subaltern Studies Group, who seek to unmask the workings of power in
order to reveal voices that are typically not heard.  While such
analyses often start from a critique of essentialism, they tend to posit
other essences through the construction of monolithic and anonymous
presences such as "the workers' struggle" or "the history of the
subaltern".  And because these essences are monolithic and anonymous,
they involve the erasure of individual identity.  Therefore any attempts
to speak for the subaltern eventually construct representations that
erase their identity.  It does not matter whether this comes from the
activist philosopher or from the organic intellectual who has risen from
the subaltern ranks.  The organic intellectual destroys his/her status
as a subaltern by attempting to represent the subaltern.

Spivak draws a distinction between two forms of representation.
1. Proxy - the attempt to speak for, as in politics
2. Portrait - the attempt to speak of, as in philosophy
It is important to distinguish between these two forms.  While proxy may
appear to be more genuine since it demands engagement (speaking 'to' the
subaltern, and not just speaking 'of'), it should be realised that the
myths and beliefs constructed through portraiture affect the basis on
which choices of proxy are made.

All this ties back to the point Anant made - when Zainab interacts with
the woman and child some meaning is produced, but when she reports it to
this discussion group the woman and child are excluded and we now are
aware of two different languages operating, and immediately wonder which
one is more authentic.

So returning to the question "what constitutes culture?" - we must first
ask if the question is worthwhile.  To ask the question at all implies a
belief that it is answerable, which in turn involves an assumption that
culture has already occurred in an observable fashion.  This assumption
immediately pushes culture into the past (it does not matter whether
this is the immediate past of yesterday, or the remote past of history).
   And culture is most alive when it is in the present, when it is
actually experienced.

So rather than asking 'what is culture' it is more worthwhile to ask:
1. What is the basis on which claims to define culture operate,
intersect and compete?
2. What are the politics, myths, beliefs, genealogies and spatial
practices that underpin the construction of such claims?
3. What are the traces we leave in space that eventually accrue into
memories and symbols?
4. What are the conversations and intersections that take place between
tacit experiences and explicit definitions of culture?
5. (Most important to us) What is the complicity of the intellectual in
all of these processes?
6. How can we individually use such critique to construct our own
ideology and ethics?

Prem