[Reader-list] Problematizing Definitions, exploitation and 'toil'

solomon benjamin sollybenj at yahoo.co.in
Thu Dec 22 14:27:09 IST 2005

Hi,
Spurred by this interesting discussion, I join
reflecting on two recent events. First, in the recent
past, encountering (After Santos) a world famous NGO
in India's most famous metro! Second, a meet with the
author and a quick read of a very interesting chapter
"Can the Subaltern Accumulate Capital" Chapter 5 in
'Fraterrnal capital' by Sharad Chari (Permanant Black
2004). Both of these link to what Anant and Prem focus
on, and particulary, the point of "Proxy" and
'Portrait'. From Chari, the difference between 'toil'
and 'exploitation'.

With this, I want to return to Zainab's peice. This is
not just in the people she talks to, but their
location in metro context of intense contestation --
in economy, in good locations, and access to basic
services. Such contestations are shaped not just of
"urbanization" but rather big bucks of the World bank,
and some of the largest private gloablly connected
capital. Located in this, are the Proxy and Potrait --
a role now well funded within NGO circles who are
close partners to big capital from being commentators
on the side lines. And their location bang in the
middle of such contestations is their ability to paint
a picture of how people live and espicially work. The
brochures set in the donor targeted glossy, potrait a
"page 3 imaginary" of a future life style statement
/advertisment! No problem if the mills get shaped into
malls, we have it all there. And paralleled is the
'proxy' -- where one gains the ability to speak for
the masses.

Here I point to not just to the NGOs promoting INDIA's
new Lifestyle Statements, but also to those who
perhaps equally distanced from the hidden voices,
trudge a path of exploitation, and in doing so, remove
contest of any substance.

It's here that in Chari's chapter 3 & 5 (and the book
is highly recommended!) that we find 'toil' (rather
than 'exploitation') as a useful way to unmask both
'proxy and potraiture'. Chari traces in a wonderfully
deatiled way the organization and dynamic of work and
in doing so, reveals a politics that sharply counters
that of those who choose to speak on behalf of the
masses and to hide away the complex locational
contests which they assist and reward from the global
big bucks.   And this is not just in India's most
famous metro. It's got a parallel in it's other
silicon valley (a read on the water privatization in
Bangalore in the recent issue of Down to Earth:
http://www.downtoearth.org.in/full6.asp?foldername=20051231&filename=anal&sec_id=7&sid=1#).
Here we have another globally aspiring NGO that is
responsible for 'structured civil society
participation'. I am sure Anant could pose similar
examples from what he has termed as a 'contractor's
city' now also on the global way.
With all this, Prems' list of useful questions find a
distinctly important urban context.
Solly