[Reader-list] Re: Copyscape

Menso Heus menso at r4k.net
Mon Feb 21 20:24:20 IST 2005

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 01:02:42PM +0100, paul keller wrote:
> dear all,
>
> this post brings me to a question that i wanted to pose to this list
> for a while now. wouldn't it be useful to have some kind of publicly
> formulated policy on (re-)using material that has been posted to this
> list? the character of the list, the issues discussed and the people
> and organisations attached to this list seem to suggest to me that
> original postings on this list should be available for (re-)use but
> there is no public statement on this issue to be found. in the absence
> of such a statement the current copyright situation would imply that
> none of the material can be reused unless one acquires permission from
> the author(s) first. some mailing lists deal with this by having a
> short statement in the footer.

'Deal with it' makes it sound as if it's an issue, judging by the lack
of policies in place, I don't believe it has been yet.
I also believe that it's not the job of a mailinglist to claim what can
and cannot be done with the original content from the people posting to
it. In fact, I don't even believe that a footer such as you suggest has
any standing in a legal system (but I could be wrong).

It would also mean that those people not willing to surrender their
copyright or control over where there texts are being recycled,  would
no longer be able to post to this list.

Considering those points, I don't feel there's any reason to change this.

Menso