[Reader-list] Re: Copyscape

paul keller paul at waag.org
Mon Feb 21 17:32:42 IST 2005

dear all,

this post brings me to a question that i wanted to pose to this list
for a while now. wouldn't it be useful to have some kind of publicly
formulated policy on (re-)using material that has been posted to this
list? the character of the list, the issues discussed and the people
and organisations attached to this list seem to suggest to me that
original postings on this list should be available for (re-)use but
there is no public statement on this issue to be found. in the absence
of such a statement the current copyright situation would imply that
none of the material can be reused unless one acquires permission from
the author(s) first. some mailing lists deal with this by having a
short statement in the footer. nettime for example has the following
one:

which seems to indicate that non-comercial use (whatever that is) of
the material posted on nettime is authoriszed (or even wanted) by the
contributors. i think that something along these lines would be useful
for this list as well (and other lists hosted by sarai, i am cc-ing
this to the commons law list as well). my suggestion for such a
statement would be something along these lines:

distributed via the reader-list. all original contributions can be
freely used without permission. however the individual authors would
like to be credited for their contributions.

best,
paul