[Reader-list] Pay or free? Newspaper archives not ready for openWeb... yet

Gurstein, Michael gurstein at ADM.NJIT.EDU
Tue Feb 22 19:26:22 IST 2005

Geert and all,

I'm not sure how far I want to push this, but the academic situation
(which covers BTW all the OECD countries and not just the US with Europe
having perhaps the most to lose since the major academic publishers all
seem to be European) is rather more complicated than that.

Academics are certainly risk averse and are relatively well paid for
their outputs but a major shift in academic publishing away from the
current highly costly paper based monopolies will have significant
consequences by (probably) shifting matters of peer review away from
closed cabals to open (and much more democratic) collaborative
filtering/review systems.

To perhaps clarify my original point which I think is still valid, for
academics to publish in on-line Open Archive journals in the context of
academe has to a considerable degree and up to this point been the
equivalent of "giving it away for free" since it has been questionable
in most instances whether on-line publications would count as
peer-reviewed publications for the variety of Promotion and Tenure
Committees in Universities and the rapidly proliferating formal
government research funding processes equally based on formal
publications in "peer reviewed journals".

All of which to mean that a junior academic publishing in an on-line
Open Archive journal would until very very recently (and still in many
universities and national research funding environments e.g. Australia)
be in the position where this wouldn't count towards tenure or towards
future research funding awards.

All of that seems to be changing at an incredible rate where
"publishing" in on-line (and Open Archive) journals is coming to be
accepted as equivalent to publishing in traditional journals.

Whether there is a direct analogy with the freelance writer you are
pointing to Geert, I'm not really sure... Maybe not, but the larger
point that Open Information/Open Archives seems to be the wave of the
future is, I think, reinforced by this example.

Best,

MG