[Reader-list] Microsoft, Geographical Information Systems and the Government of India

Pankaj kaushal penguinhead at linux-delhi.org
Thu Jan 13 12:31:04 IST 2005

Vivek Narayanan wrote:
> Since there are at least a couple of people on this list who are working
> on the democratization / social implications of GIS technology, I was
> wondering if they had any opinions/comment on what it means that
> Microsoft, reigning emperor of proprietary software, is involved in
> this...?
[snip]
It means that the reigning emperor alone has capabilities to do such
work. Microsoft have proved themselves in this field with their Map
applications. The question is more about the control the government has
over the data. Should there be a cheaper/better alternative available in
the near/distant future and the Government chose to discontinue using MS
products would they be able to break away from a Microsoft solution?

The second question is who should have what level of access to the data?
Shall Microsoft be allowed to make commercial software using the Data?
Should the data be in the public domain? Should it be available to
researchers at a nominal cost and not forcing them to buy a Microsoft
product if such a product is made?

There is a debate going on on the same topic on India-GII[1]. Those who
might be interested can join.

Morality is heard instinct in the individual.
	-- Nietzsche.