[Reader-list] Why did mythologicals die?

T. Vishnu Vardhan vishnu at cscsban.org
Fri Jul 22 14:54:07 IST 2005

Hi this is my (delayed) sixth and final posting from the project
'Documenting the Death of a Genre: Mythologicals in Telugu cinema'.

In the last five postings I took you through various aspects of Telugu
mythologicals which surfaced in my research.  I posted about the importance
of language in mythologicals, viewers' expectation from mythologicals (in
terms of language), the aspect of nativity in Telugu cinema, mythologicals
and genre, changing role of mythologicals from 1930s to 1980s.

In this posting I will reflect on the question Why did mythologicals die in
Telugu cinema?  This is the same question which, I asked few people from
the industry and also Telugu cinema viewers.

Nobody has an exact answer for the question.  But these are the few popular

1)  A certain package of film makers and actors (like K.V. Reddy,
Kamalakara Kameshwara Rao, N.T. Rama Rao, Savithri, S.V. Ranga Rao,
Gummadi, etc) who were known for their mythologicals, passed away/came of
age/stopped acting.  And nobody can replace these people either on the
screen or off the screen.

2) The production of mythologicals is very expensive and the industry was
not in a position to spend such a huge amount on these films and thus by
1980s they die.

3)  The plots of mythologicals were exhausted and there is nothing new to
show to the spectators.

4)  The tastes of the viewers have changed.  They cant take-in anymore the
same plots culled out from Ramayana and Mahabaratha.  Also the language of
the mythologicals is too high for the audience and they do not any more
enjoy the long padhyalu (kind of poems).

Either stating one or more of the above reasons most of them become
nostalgic about the age of mythologicals, especially those made between 50s
and 80s.  And this period is also considered as the golden age of Telugu
cinema both by the industry and the 'cinema going public'.

Further, this is the period during which a kind of star system emerges
(which is different from an ordinary film star).  A star system which can
mobilize people beyond the film theatre and can determine capital in the
industry.  NTRama Rao, who is the first star to enjoy such star system in
Telugu, apparently became the first non-congress Chief Ministrer of Andhra
Pradesh.

Coming back to the question of WHY DID MYTHOLOGICALS DIE, what I am going
to say is a bit controversial and is unsaid till now.  Mythological died
because of NT Rama Rao or in other words because of the new star system.

How this is so is what I will be talking at the conference in SARAI.  Hope
you will be ready to shoot many questions and let me see how I am going to
defend my hypothesis.

see you soon.

Vishnu
T. Vishnu Vardhan
Centre for the Study of Culture and Society,
466, 9th Cross, 1st Block, Jayanagar,
Bangalore - 560011.
e-mail: vishnu at cscsban.org
         thvishnu_viva at yahoo.com