[Reader-list] Fwd: Women in Maharashtra State Assembly's Debate

Nisha . nisha2004 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 17:42:54 IST 2005

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sultan Ibrahim <sultanofpeace at yahoo.com>
Date: 27-Jul-2005 11:53
Subject: Women in the Assembly

*Women in Maharashtra State Assembly's Debate*

When the dance bar bill got debated in the house some of us had been present
to listen to the debate. This is what we witnessed!!!!!!!!

"Isha Koppikar. she is an atom bomb, attttom bomb."

"chutiyas . bhadwas.." [filthy abuses]

"..these women who dance naked, they don't deserve any sympathy"

"...these women loot men and destroy their houses .. "

" these women who are opposing the ban, we will make their mothers dance.."

These seem like statements from some sleazy dialogue that the roadside
taporis indulge in.

Very sadly, these are statements made by our people's representatives on the
floor of the house in the Vidhan Sabha. This was the third last day of
the monsoon session. The contempt that was shown to all women in this
session was appalling. The last comment is on all women's groups who had
opposed the ban. What we have produced here is only a sample. Throughout the
discussion, across party lines, the elected members made such comments while
ostensibly passing a bill to protect women's dignity!

One representative narrated an incident of his
friend's daughter who had committed suicide because she did not get a job.
He said it was more
dignified to commit suicide than dance in bars. The
house applauded. How the representatives of people can applaud when a young
girl commits suicide when it is their anti-people, anti-women and anti-job
growth policies that make them lose their means of livelihood in the first
place, is a matter of grave concern.

As women's organisations of Maharashtra, we are
extremely angered by the insensitivity and anti-women statements and
atmosphere in the house. The undercurrent of the comments and discussions
was pornographic and obscene and was greeted with laughter and sniggering by
the predominantly male House. So much for protecting the Constitutional
mandate of protecting the dignity of women.

Women are more than 50% of the voters of this state. The utter disregard to
the feelings and dignity of women exhibited by our so-called representatives
is disgusting and needs total condemnation.

Signed by:

Forum Against Oppression of Women
Majlis
Awaaz-E-Niswan
Akshara
India Centre for Human Rights and Law
Centre for Enquiry into Health and Allied Themes
LABIA