[Reader-list] Excavating Indian Experimental Film

Shai Heredia shai at filterindia.com
Thu Jul 28 22:44:37 IST 2005

4th POSTING

Abid Surty - the artist in Pramod Pati's experimental masterpiece 'Abid' (1969) discusses Pramod Pati and the creative freedom of Films Division at the time.

Excerpts from an interview with him below:

S: When did you first meet Pramod Pati?

A At that time Pramod Pati actually wanted to make a film on Hussain, but Hussain was too busy and I think he ditched Pati 3 or 4 times. I remember I had an exhibition on at Taj Art Gallery & Pati dropped in one day. This was the first exhibition I had done on mirror collage, and seeing all the broken pieces of mirror he got baffled and confused. After few minutes he approached me & said "Abid I want to make a film on you with your work". So that was the first time we met.

S: What kind of work were you involved with at that time?