[Reader-list] film on sonagachi wins oscar

sudhesh sudhesh.unniraman at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 14:40:34 IST 2005

One can make a film about any subject as you please
there is no need for an "authentic" subject

but to say that we cannot release it here because people here do not
understand the sensitive nature of the film that does not make any
sense

the issue of whether lives has improved has been discussed since the
time of Salaam Bombay. Of course in most cases the director has no
resposibility to make anyone's lives better but in this case they are
documenting lives of people whose identities need to be protected
(their words not mine) and who were living in no man's zone.  If the
children have given two years of their lives (for the making of the
film) how have they benefitted?

the process of discovery is all fine when we are discovering other
people and lands - we are not bothered what happens to them after
that....

sudhesh