[Reader-list] film on sonagachi wins oscar

Danny Butt db at dannybutt.net
Fri Mar 4 07:28:58 IST 2005

Greetings all,

I certainly wouldn't suggest that only 'authentic' subjects are allowed to
represent themselves. A film's "success" or "quality" relies on the
time-honoured practices of turning conflict and oppression in human lives
into narrative (the film is after all called "Born into Brothels" and not
e.g. " Sonagachi", so its a title which  deliberately plays on a set of
moral assumptions about choice and sex work that operate outside the setting
of the film).   Surely it is important to critically question the role that
media might play in displacing or reinforcing spectacular logics between
Hollywood and third world environments, and what the real possibilities are
for people connected to both environments to achieve social justice.

I think the separation of the "quality" of the film from such questions is
a dangerous move. That is not to say that the aesthetic should be reduced to
the sociopolitical, but neither is it separate, in that the "new
provocations" a filmmaker might discover are not uniform in their effects
across all parts of the network that has been drawn upon to create the film.

Thanks and regards,

Danny

--
http://www.dannybutt.net
http://weblog.dannybutt.net  <<-- new!

#place: location, cultural politics, and social technologies:
http://www.place.net.nz

[ Lilith] laughed bitterly. "I suppose I could think of this as fieldwork -
but how the hell do I get out of the field ?" (Octavia E. Butler, _Dawn_)