[Reader-list] [Announcements] [call] Fair Assembly: Making Things Public

Steve Dietz stevedietz at yproductions.com
Tue Mar 15 06:11:06 IST 2005

Making Things Public: http://makingthingspublic.zkm.de
Fair Assembly: http://makingthingspublic.zkm.de/fairassembly/

"We live in rather discouraging times as far as political life is concerned.
Just the right moment, then, to make a fresh start by bringing together
three modes of representation that are usually kept apart: How to represent
people? Politics. How to represent objects? Science. How to represent their
collective gathering? Art. The main idea behind MAKING THINGS PUBLIC:
ATMOSPHERES OF DEMOCRACY is that politics is all about _things_. It's not a
sphere, a profession or a mere occupation; it essentially involves a concern
for affairs that are brought to the attention of a _public_. The public is
not cast in stone for all time. We're not talking here about the people as
represented by their elected officials. The public has to be created for
each new issue, for each new matter of concern. So the question we wish to
raise is: 'What would happen if politics were made to revolve around
disputed states of affairs?'"
-- Bruno Latour and Peter Weibel

MAKING THINGS PUBLIC opens Saturday at ZKM (Karlsruhe, Germany). Artists and
other interested parties are invited to submit projects to the FAIR ASSEMBLY
open database for presentation in the exhibition and as part of a long term
project.

Assemblies have traditionally been forums for disputation, where decisions
are made but not necessarily where the knowledge on which the decisions rely
is formulated. MAKING THINGS PUBLIC not only brings the idea of the Assembly
to sites of knowledge production but insists that the "means, tools, tropes,
tricks and knacks," which are integral tools for assembling knowledge, are
also useful to the Assembly. In this sense, FAIR ASSEMBLY is a participatory
platform to which anyone can submit a web-based or software project, which
relates to the thematics of the exhibition, and have it be part of MAKING
THINGS PUBLIC.

Steve Dietz
Fair Assembly, a project of Making Things Public: Atmospheres of Democracy
http://makingthingspublic.zkm.de/fairassembly/
- select "Submit" to add a project to the database