[Reader-list] Where in Varanasi?

Shivam Vij shivamvij at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 16:14:52 IST 2005

In a cybercafe in Delhi University:

When Man A finishes talking to the Cybercafe Owner, Man B interrupts: "Aapki boli badi achchi hain. (You speak very politely.)"

Man A replies in jest: "Hum Lakhnau se jo hain. (Because I'm from Lucknow.)"

Man B: "Lakhnau mein kahan? (Where in Lucknow do you live?)"

Man A: "Narhi mein, Hazratganj ke paas. (In Narhi, near Hazratganj.)"

Man B, apparently showing off his familiarity with the city of Lucknow: "Achcha! achcha! Uskay aagay Parik Road hain, aur phir mukhya mantri awaas, huuun.. (Oh! That's near Park Road, right? And then there's the chief minister's residence farther ahead, I see...)"

Man A: "Haan. Aap bhi kya Lakhnau se hain? (Are you also from Lucknow?)"

Man B: "Lakhnau mein hum do saal rahein hain. (I lived there for two years.)"

Man A: "So which city are you originally from?"

Man B: "Hum Banaras ke hain. (I'm from Varanasi.)"

The Cybercafe owner chips in: "Arre! Banaras mein kahan pe? (Oh! Where in Varanasi do you live?)"

o o o o

Excerpts from another conversation at canteen:

Delhi is a city of cities.
Delhi is where cities cross each other's pathways.
The whole of Delhi is a sarai, where travellers meet.

Where are they travelling to?
They're going to Destination Success.

What's their mode of transport?
Buses - DTC's and 'private'. Rickshaws and autos and well, the Metro.

Who runs public transport?
Well, it goes like this:
Biharis pull rickshaws.
UP-ites ply autos.
Harayanvi jats run buses.
Sikhs run taxis.

And who runs the Metro?
The "suited-booted" Delhi Metro people.

But where are they from?
I don't know. They were formal shirts and ties. You can't tell where they are from.

What's that place? Destination Success

o o o o o

Shivam