[Reader-list] Thought Thieves Steal Ideas FROM YOUR HEAD!

Rana Dasgupta eye at ranadasgupta.com
Sun May 15 15:04:35 IST 2005

Am in Paris right now.

In french cinemas before the film starts you get this chilling
anti-piracy warning in grey and black which is made to resemble the
funereal message on the side of cigarette packets over here.  For
cigarettes it says "Smoking seriously damages your health" ("fumer nuit
gravement a la sante").  The message in cinemas, with the same graphic
design, reads "Piracy seriously damages the health of cinema" ("pirater
nuit gravement a la sante du cinema").

The gesture does not lack creativity.  Piracy becomes, without the need
to state it, a sort of carcinogen provoking the deformation from inside
of the healthy body of the cinema industry, and finally destroying it.