[Reader-list] Fwd: Pakistan Fisherfolk Leaders Arrested in Hyderabad, Sindh

Zulfiqar Shah zulfisindh at yahoo.com
Tue May 17 00:33:39 IST 2005

Fwd: Massage

------------------------------------

Dear Friends:

We, the members of Pakistan Fisherfolk Forum (PFF) draw your kind attention towards arrest of our central leaders including Chairperson Mohammad Ali Shah, Sami Memon, Jamal Mustaf Shoro, Allah Dino Mallah and Mohammad (PFF driver) by Hyderabad Police after a peaceful demonstration and sit-in of fishermen against contract system.

The fishermen from all over Sindh had gathered in front of office of Fisheries Department at Hyderabad on the first day of the auction for awarding fishing rights. They were exercising their democratic right and all the protest held in a very peaceful manner.

When all the fishermen dispersed peacefully, the Taluka Police Office (TPO), Hyderabad invited the PFF central leaders to come with him as he said he had arranged a meeting between PFF and high officials of Fisheries Department to amicably resolve the issue.

As PFF believes in dialogue and advocacy, so without any hesitation, the PFF leaders went to GOR Police Station. But after a two-hour wait in police station, the police officials told the PFF leaders that an FIR has been registered against them for committing riots and disturbance, so they were under arrested. Later, they were shifted to Hussainabad Police Station lockup.

We, the members of PFF appeal to all the democracy loving and human rights activists/organisations to raise their voice against arrest of PFF leaders. We also appeal to the government to release the PFF leaders immediately and withdraw all the false cases against them.

We pledge to continue our peaceful democratic struggle against unfair and exploitative contract system of fishing. We do not consider arrests or such tactics as an impediment in our struggle. Instead, these arrests have created a new vigor and energy in us to speed up
our struggle.

We once again appeal to our friends and friendly organisations to join hands with PFF in it struggle against elimination of exploitative
system.

Saeed Baloch

GS

PFF