[Reader-list] Singing Styles, Prashant Pandey

Prashant Pandey prashantpandey10 at rediffmail.com
Tue May 31 09:49:06 IST 2005

My research on Bollywood music is aimed at understanding the latest trends and put them in a particular or multiple perspectives.

Recently i had a chat with the playback singer Shantanu Mukherjee aka Shaan. Shaan shared his insights as well as his disagreements.

One of the things that I find interesting that while discussing the singing schools of thought i.e Rafi and Kishore. He said now there is marked changed. These two "clasical" styles have been replaced by two new styles i.e Kumar Sanu school and Sonu Nigam school.

Shaan has ample experience with singing talent show called Saregamapa and his observations on the participants and the new singers entering the industry would have us believe that both Sonu and Sanu styles are hot favourites replacing the "classical" Rafi and Kishore style.

Interestingly both Sanu and Sonu derive their singing identity from these two aforementioned styles.

The recently concluded Indian Idol too  saw this clash of styles where Amit Sana sang all Sonu Nigam songs while Abhijit Sawant using a mix of Sanu and Abhijit.

Also Rahul Vaidya tries to sing like Sonu. I recently attended a recording where his song was being mixed and supporting vocals were being added. For a momemt the Recording Engineer thought it was Sonu's voice.

An assistant music director on the condition of anonymity told me that Babul Supriyo is nothing but a copycat's copycat.(Kumar Sanu's copycat) Well thats kind of harsh but try to listen "Hata Sawan Ki Ghata"(Hello Brother)  or " Sitaro Ki Mehfil Me"(Kaho Na Pyaar Hai). You might have some idea.

Rupa Raman, a music consultant says " It depends on how exactly you strike and sustain your notes".

What exactly is then the Sanu Style of singing ? Speaking to a number of Recording engineers and voice trainers, I would say it is a mix of Vibratto and nasal (Mix of KL Saigal and Kishore ?)which works wonder for romantic soft songs.

Sonu Nigam's style is more complex. He uses a mix of styles. Shaan says he is the hot favourite for any singer today. But that doesnt stop him from telling " He has got a crying voice...its crying for something or other". By crying Shaan means "soul-stirring"! Like everyone else Shaan is all praise for his colleage.

Sonu employes classical variations, scatting, Boyband-ish charm and a an evolved amalgam of Rafi and Kishore. Listen to "Mujhe Raat Din" (SANGARSH). This is one of Sonu's favourite songs.

As far as Shaan is concerened he is one those who subscribes to "song is more important than the singer" school. He says why must I scat when its a sad song ? "If a trend is hot it doesnt mean we mindlessly harness it everywhere."

Prashant Pandey