[Reader-list] His name is Anthony Gonsalves but he has never met Big B

PREETU NAIR preetunair at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 12 10:37:58 IST 2005

One of Amitabh Bachchan’s most well-known and loved
screen name has a Goa connection. As the nation
celebrated Big B’s birthday, GT contacted music
maestro Anthony Gonsalves, who looks back at the man
he has never met but still admires.

PREETU NAIR
PANAJI: When a tall man in a top hat and suit leaps
out of a giant Easter egg and starts signing, “My name
is Anthony Gonsalves” in Manmohan Desai’s classic
Amar, Akbar, Anthony; there is a smile and sparkle on
the face of the real Anthony Gonsalves in Majorda.

Strangely though, the “real” Anthony Gonsalves has
never met the “reel” Anthony. “By 1965, I quit the
film industry and shifted to America. One day I got a
call from my student Pyarelal (of Laxmikant Pyarelal
fame), who had learnt violin from me. He asked me if
he could use my name for a song to be featured on
Amitabh Bachchan. I agreed with a condition that my
name shouldn’t be abused,” revealed the 78-year-old
magnificent, yet mild mannered, music maestro from
Majorda.

An overwhelmingly talented musician and a highly
prized teacher who trained the likes of RD Burman and
Pyarelal, Anthony never got his due in Bollywood,
until his shishya immortalized his name forever with
this song featured on Big B.

“When I was working in Bombay film industry, Amitabh
was not a superstar. Even later I never tried to meet
Amitabh because I was too immersed in my work,” says
the perfectionist. However, he admits that he enjoyed
listening to the song, which was pure entertainment.

“Last week, the movie was shown on television and it
was great listening to the song and seeing Amitabh’s
tricks. I heard the song after a long time,”
recollects the man who travelled to Bombay in 1943 to
earn a living as a musician in Bollywood.
But compared to many who thrive to meet the Big B,
Anthony has no such desires. “If by chance I get to
meet him, it would be nice. However, I don’t have any
great desire,” said the reclusive musician, who
candidly admits that he enjoys listening to Big B say,
“Computerji, Lock kiya jaaye” in Kaun Banega
Crorepati.

Anthony has warm feelings for the man he has never met
and wishes him all the best in life on his 64th
birthday. “On his birthday, I want to wish him all the
best in his life and career. As well as a long and
healthy life and many more happy years,” added
Anthony.
(this article appeared on 12 Sept. 2005 issue of
Gomantak times)