[Reader-list] Fellow ex-I-Fellow on ragging

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Fri Oct 14 15:20:35 IST 2005

Dear Shivam,

thanks to you, and to your anoymous correspondent for forwarding the
mail on ragging to the list. I for one have always been deeply
uncomfortable with the 'lightness' with which 'ragging' is treated. I
have nothing against people pushing the limits with each other in terms
of what they think is acceptable between them in terms of behaviour.
Horesplay, teasing, even violence in different forms is part of the
normal warp and weft of daily life. But I think ragging takes things on
to a different register altogether. It introduces the element of an a
priori hierarchy into the mix of the rough edges of interaction between
people wh really speaking, are peers. It is this unthinking acceptance
of the element of hierarchy which underlies ragging that I find most
disturbing. And I think that the reason why many 'progressive
intellectuals' within our university community are willing to not take a
tough line on ragging is because, actually, they have no problems with
the playing out of the idea of an a priori hierarchy in everyday life.
It does not surprise me in the least when someone who is openly sexist,
or casteist or communal is also someone who invests heavily in the idea
of ragging. What is interesting to ask is why 'ragging' is looked upon
so benignly by people who would otherwise leave no stone unturned in
demonstrating how

Perhaps this ties in to a continuing, secret and paradoxical affection
that many amongst us (especially those who claim for themselves the
mantle of a so called enlightened liberality- a non sexist, anti
communal, anti casteist identity) have for the feudal and casteist norms
that normalize hierarchy - where the cutting remark, the sardonic sneer,
the putting someone in their place, the ordering people about, and the
whole discourse of 'aukad' is so much a part of the way in which people
unthinkingly behave with one another. It is interesting to see how
passionate people become in the 'defence' of ragging, once they are
provoked into a reflection on their own self and where they stand, or
have stood,  and it is interesting ask why this should be do. Let me
offer a speculative attempt towards an answer, perhaps because in all
other spheres of life it is difficult for progressive, liberal,
open-minded, left leaning, intellectuals to sustain some kind of
naturalized 'hierarchy' argument, the intimate sphere of 'hostels,
college, canteen' can be in some senses seen as the secret last resort
of the theatre of naturalized hierarchy. No one can say any longer that
'domestic violence' or the psychological humiliation of a new bride is
one way for a husband, the in-laws and the new bried to 'get to know'
each other. So where else can progressive intellectuals locate and a
small niche of justifiable  hierarchical domination - in the no less
intimate sphere of the hostel and the canteen.

I do not take this space lightly, in a country where the college, the
hostel is a formative space for millions of young people, many of whom
leave cloistered worlds at home, or the environment of small towns, or
villages, to come to cities to study, the first encounter with the
'enlightened liberality' of the university is the indifference of the
faculty and the violence of the ragger. I am sure it introduces
something into the behaviour patterns of millions of Indian men and
women, just as I am sure that the inhumanity of the board exam system
introduces lifelong feelings of competitiveness, anxiety and lack of
confidence. It is interesting that in all the debate over the 'content'
of education in our country, with secularists and communalists crying
themselves hoarse about what people should or should not read in their
textbooks, so little attention is paid to the actual ambience and
environment of educational institutions. You can have the most squeaky
clean liberal and secular textbooks in the world, but the way in which
campus life is actually led, with its written and unwritten codes of
domination and subordination, its arcane labyrinth of 'jats', 'biharis'
, 'chinkies', 'mossies' and 'freshers' and 'fresh maal' will continue to
produce closet and open little fascists of every political and
apolitical colour and persuasion.

Shivam wrote:

>Dear esteemed readers of the (crumbling :) ) Sarai Reader List:
>
>I thought I wouldn't do this, but it was too tempting to subject you
>to another post on ragging.
>
>I recently exchanged some emails with a fellow ex-I-Fellow, excerpts
>from which she has allowed me to put on this list.
>
>In a tea break during the I Fellows workshop, I had overheard someone
>making fun of The Stop Ragging Campaign. Making fun of anything is
>very easy, but understanding it may be a completely different ball
>game.
>
>Cheers
>Shivam
>

>o o o o o
>
>Hi!
>
>I read about your Stop Ragging Campaign through Sarai Reader List.
>
>I recently joined a post graduate institute ***. I am filled with
>anger and disgust that in a PG institute with the knowledge of the
>Administration ragging took place.
>
>As I never have stayed in a Hostel all though my life, it took me few
>moments why we were asked to assemble on the terrace. As each of us
>were being ragged, i was scared. Because there were no right answers
>to their questions and the whole incident was very unpredictable. You
>never know what would happen next.....I just broke down out of
>confusion. it was really strange.
>
>I must confess that there are many seniors who were against the whole
>affair. They tried their best but they were far and few of them.
>
>Next day, before ragging began I yelled at the seniors threatening
>them with a FIR. Suddenly, after abuses hurled...everything cooled
>down and i was told that this was a ice breaking session and that as i
>girl i have to get strong to face the male dominated industry that i
>will be working in....
>
>After the ragging session was over, the very same seniors who were
>involved in ragging turned out to be 'very nice people'. Everybody
>behaves as if nothing as happened.
>
>I just want to read a bit about the 'history' ragging...cud u please.
>help me with books, websites or any info.
>
>Thanking You,
>with warm regards,
><name deleted>
>
>o o o
>
>Hi,
>
>I'm glad you spoke up and threatened them with an FIR. At least you
>knew that it is punishable. See www.stopragging.org.
>
>The important this is for you to be able to bring about a change next year.
>
>Best wishes and keep me updated,
>Shivam
>
>o o o
>
>Hi!
>Your website is exhaustive. Your dedication and work is reflected in
>it.....I am going through it page by page......
>
>thanks for everything.
>Please do inform me if u need any help.
>
>With warm regards,
><name deleted>
>
>o o o o
>
>Excerpt from another mail from her:

> [...]

Shuddhabrata Sengupta (Raqs Media Collective)
The Sarai Programme
Centre for the Study of Developing Societies (CSDS)
29 Rajpur Road, Delhi 110054, India
Phone : + 91 11 23960040
Fax :     + 91 11 23943450
E Mail : shuddha at sarai.net