[Reader-list] Fellow ex-I-Fellow on ragging

Shivam shivam at zestgroups.net
Sat Oct 15 12:43:16 IST 2005

Dear Shuddha,

Thanks for eloquently saying what I have been trying to for a long
time. More than ragging itself is the status of ragging as a
politically correct activity that is disturbing.

You have set me thinking on how and why people come to have the
political inclinations that they do.

Regards
Shivam

On 10/14/05, Shuddhabrata Sengupta <shuddha at sarai.net> wrote:
> Dear Shivam,
>
> thanks to you, and to your anoymous correspondent for forwarding the
> mail on ragging to the list. I for one have always been deeply
> uncomfortable with the 'lightness' with which 'ragging' is treated. I
> have nothing against people pushing the limits with each other in terms
> of what they think is acceptable between them in terms of behaviour.
> Horesplay, teasing, even violence in different forms is part of the
> normal warp and weft of daily life. But I think ragging takes things on
> to a different register altogether. It introduces the element of an a
> priori hierarchy into the mix of the rough edges of interaction between
> people wh really speaking, are peers. It is this unthinking acceptance
> of the element of hierarchy which underlies ragging that I find most
> disturbing. And I think that the reason why many 'progressive
> intellectuals' within our university community are willing to not take a
> tough line on ragging is because, actually, they have no problems with
> the playing out of the idea of an a priori hierarchy in everyday life.
> It does not surprise me in the least when someone who is openly sexist,
> or casteist or communal is also someone who invests heavily in the idea
> of ragging. What is interesting to ask is why 'ragging' is looked upon
> so benignly by people who would otherwise leave no stone unturned in
> demonstrating how
>
> Perhaps this ties in to a continuing, secret and paradoxical affection
> that many amongst us (especially those who claim for themselves the
> mantle of a so called enlightened liberality- a non sexist, anti
> communal, anti casteist identity) have for the feudal and casteist norms
> that normalize hierarchy - where the cutting remark, the sardonic sneer,
> the putting someone in their place, the ordering people about, and the
> whole discourse of 'aukad' is so much a part of the way in which people
> unthinkingly behave with one another. It is interesting to see how
> passionate people become in the 'defence' of ragging, once they are
> provoked into a reflection on their own self and where they stand, or
> have stood,  and it is interesting ask why this should be do. Let me
> offer a speculative attempt towards an answer, perhaps because in all
> other spheres of life it is difficult for progressive, liberal,
> open-minded, left leaning, intellectuals to sustain some kind of
> naturalized 'hierarchy' argument, the intimate sphere of 'hostels,
> college, canteen' can be in some senses seen as the secret last resort
> of the theatre of naturalized hierarchy. No one can say any longer that
> 'domestic violence' or the psychological humiliation of a new bride is
> one way for a husband, the in-laws and the new bried to 'get to know'
> each other. So where else can progressive intellectuals locate and a
> small niche of justifiable  hierarchical domination - in the no less
> intimate sphere of the hostel and the canteen.

> [...]

"We are protean. We can become anything." - MM
www.shivamvij.com (Blog) | mail at shivamvij.com (Email & MSN)