[Reader-list] Taj Mahal ka tender , Hindi theatre of the day

Ravikant ravikant at sarai.net
Tue Oct 18 12:20:05 IST 2005

Dear Supreet,

I know some people on the list who have been doing theatre in Delhi for some
time and they would be in a much better position to respond but generally
speaking I agree with you. There is so much recycling(of Mohan Rakesh,
Sarveshwar, Girish Karnad and Habib Tanveer) going on in Hindi thatre that it
looks like there isn't much new coming up. Have we witnessed a shift of
market value of NSD in recent years? What with Anupam Kher et al, products of
NSD, also seen as its success stories, now joining the bandwagon of new
acting schools? I know Arvind Gaur's group Asmita is fairly active and I know
there is a critical discourse around the NSD publication Rang Prasang. But
the hindi theatre scene has not looked as exciting as it once did, in Act One
days for example. I could be wrong and would be very happy to be corrected.

cheers
ravikant