[Reader-list] TC (Contd) ...

zainab at xtdnet.nl zainab at xtdnet.nl
Tue Sep 20 14:35:43 IST 2005

TC (Contd
)

“How do your office people know that you are working right now and not
sleeping at home?” TC asked me when I tried to explain the modalities of
my work with Sarai. Initially, whenever we met, he would keep repeating
this question, “How do they know that you are working right now?” I could
not place my finger on what was his curiosity? Is it that how do people in
Delhi monitor me on a day-to-day basis – maybe they should put a CCTV
camera inside me which enables them to know where I am and what I am
doing? Maybe they should have spies in Bombay who report on me?
Ultimately, one day, I told TC, “There is something called ‘trust’ which
operates between us. And I am sure they can monitor me through the quality
of my work!” TC’s queries about work and monitoring have always been
intriguing. He has his own pace of work. For him, he must complete his
monthly quota of fines. He is hardly performing his duties for two hours
and I wonder whether he projects his subconscious concerns on me.

TC tries to understand what is it that I am doing. He refers to Sarai as
‘Company’ – well, not ‘D Company’ but a corporate office structure. “Does
your company give you leave? Do you have Provident Fund?” How do I explain
independence to him??? “So, what is it that your company does?” I try to
explain Sarai’s publications as one aspect of work. He does not
understand. On several occasions, I have introduced him to many of my
different friends – some foreigners, some Bombayiites. “So, does your
company give you passes for attending film award functions or music
shows?” he asks me, given that most of my acquaintances are from the media
– print and electronic. Perhaps he thinks of Sarai as a media house. “When
will you get promotion? Where is your office? Who else works with you?”
were his initial questions.

Today, these questions no longer exist. I am not sure why they are no
longer part of our conversations. That is because maybe, at some level,
our conversations have taken a different turn

Zainab Bawa
Bombay
www.xanga.com/CityBytes
http://crimsonfeet.recut.org/rubrique53.html