[Reader-list] Research Update

Aditi thorat aditi.thorat at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 12:46:41 IST 2006

This is absolutely fantastic, Vikhar. I am very impressed and slighty
envious, I must admit, of your lucidity and attention to detail (providing
theoretical/historical links etc). I can also now understand the fatwa
against the length of Sania Mirza's skirt (something that received a fair
amount of media attention) as "considered opinion", which to me basically
means that I / women's groups (which will multiple perspecitives/positions
etc) / Sania herself has the "right" (not sure if this is the appropriate
word) to have my/their or our/her "considered opinions". Phew, that was one
complicated construction! Is there some theoretical middle ground between
the Marxist groups and liberal pluralist positions. Can you recommend some
reading, please.

Best,
Aditi

On 4/24/06, Vikhar Ahmed <vikharjnu at gmail.com> wrote:

> In this section I want to look at the ideas of objectivity in journalism
> and the rationale behind the production of news.
>
> "The mass media serve as a system for communicating messages and symbols
> to the general populace[1]<http://mail.google.com/mail/?&ik=89496ee159&view=cv&search=inbox&th=10aca8e505524ae8&lvp=7&cvp=1&qt=&zx=bg4ku6-maw3ke#10aca8e505524ae8__ftn1>,"
> write Herman and Chomsky in their book *Manufacturing Consent: The
> Political Economy and the Mass Media. *It is a valid point that the
> authors make and it is important to see the media as a dominant element of
> popular culture. The view point of structuralism can be bought in here as
> they have a significant amount to contribute to the idea of communicating by
> language and the medium of journalism is dominated by language. The
> structuralists, led primarily by Saussure's ideas, contend that language
> consists of 'signs', which in turn can be divided into two component parts,
> 'signifier' and 'signified'. 'Signifier' for Saussure means the 'inscription
> or the acoustic sound' while 'signified' means the 'concept or mental image'
> [2]<http://mail.google.com/mail/?&ik=89496ee159&view=cv&search=inbox&th=10aca8e505524ae8&lvp=7&cvp=1&qt=&zx=bg4ku6-maw3ke#10aca8e505524ae8__ftn2>.
>

> The meaning of this initial idea of Saussure was restricted to linguistics
> but was taken forward by Roland Barthes who in his book *Mythologies*represents the most significant attempts to bring the method of semiology to
> bear on popular culture[3]<http://mail.google.com/mail/?&ik=89496ee159&view=cv&search=inbox&th=10aca8e505524ae8&lvp=7&cvp=1&qt=&zx=bg4ku6-maw3ke#10aca8e505524ae8__ftn3>.
> The guiding principle of this book is to always interrogate what is not
> obvious. He takes Saussure's principle of 'signifier' and 'signified' and
> adds one more level to it. The first level of 'signification', he calls
> 'primary signification' or 'denotation' and the second level he calls
> 'secondary signification' or 'connotation'. He then argues that it is at the
> second level of signification that what he calls 'myth' is produced and
> consumed. By myth Barthes means ideology understood as ideas and practices
> which defend the status quo – the 'bourgeois norm' – and actively promotes
> the interests and values of the dominant classes in society. Myth is the
> turning of the cultural and historical into the natural, the
> taken-for-granted.  As we can see Barthes is taking a slightly 'political
> framework of analysis' to borrow a phrase that Stuart Allen uses in his book
> *News Culture*. The 'political framework of analysis' draws heavily from
> the writings of Karl Marx and Fredrick Engels in *The German Ideology *as
> will become obvious from this excerpt:
>
> The ideas of the ruling class are in every epoch the ruling ideas, i.e.,
> the class which is the ruling *material* force of society, is at the same
> time its ruling *intellectual *force. The class which has the means of
> [...]

Aditi Thorat
Officer on Special Duty to Chief Minister
Government of Rajasthan
0141-5116629 (Tele/Fax)