[Reader-list] Richard Stallman in Calcutta

V Ramaswamy hpp at vsnl.com
Mon Aug 14 15:21:33 IST 2006

Richard Stallman in Calcutta

Today morning, I read in the newspaper about a public symposium on free
software in Calcutta, on 16 August. Dr Richard Stallman, president of the
Free Software Foundation, will be speaking.

Wow! Was I pleased! I must attend. He is one of my heroes. And now that I am
blogging and self-publishing on the internet I feel even closer in spirit to
Stallman.

But that gladness was immediately marred by reading the name of another
speaker. This is a member of the Communist Party of India (Marxist), who is
a member of the upper house of India's parliament. He is often on
television. I dislike everything about him.

The CPI(M) likes to be associated with and patronise "progressive" concerns
and movements, and personalities. Thus, I once attended a lecture by Prof
Noam Chomsky in Calcutta in 1996. Nelson Mandela was given a public
reception in Calcutta in 1990. Prof Amartya Sen had been felicitated after
his Nobel Prize in economics. Last year, Hugo Chavez addressed a public
meeting.

But having worked in slums in Howrah and Calcutta since 1996, I have been
exposed to the reality of what the CPI(M) is about and like at the
grassroots. This is quite sordid and ugly, and very far away from the
associations with Chomsky or Stallman.

It made me seethe. I decided I would attend, and when the time came for
questions from the audience, I would give a scathing knock to that pathetic
politician. I would say that it was most inappropriate for him to be on the
same platform as Richard Stallman, as his party's conduct in the state of
West Bengal, which it has ruled since 1977, demonstrated only systematic
disregard of transparency; mis-information, dis-information and witholding
of public information; the party has been about its own empowerment rather
than people's empowerment; it has patently failed in providing basic
education to the people; it has disavowed pursuit of total literacy;
decentralisation has meant distribution of corruption; it has used people's
ignorance and lack of information to manipulate them; and it has bred a
culture of cynical middleman-ship, a form of extortion, which has seeped
into the fabric of the state's people.

So if Microsoft is Mr Enemy - so is Mr CPI(M), and no one should be fooled
by the pathetic politician's puny pseudo-progressive platitudes.

Truth must be told. The cat must be belled. The bluff must be called. The
naked emperor must be exposed.

But I began to wonder whether it would not be lacking in taste and grace on
my part to do this, especially when Richard Stallman is a guest, and has
probably been invited by some govt agency. As a citizen of Calcutta, I am
proud and honoured that he is speaking at a public programme in my city.
Wouldn't my sharp attack on the politician discolour such an important
occasion?

Could this be done gracefully?

On Richard Stallman's personal home page(http://www.stallman.org/), he
quotes Mahatma Gandhi:

"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and
decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it
means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with
his or her whole soul."