[Reader-list] Abstract & Bio

Ojwando JP ojpatrick at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 22 12:41:54 IST 2006

Abstract  The study, An exploration of the experiences of Afro students in the south Asia, draws upon the experiences of students of African descent, and looks at this unique educational convergence in the south Asian sub continent that seems to be coming under severe strain. The study attempts to document their diverse experiences, lifestyles and ways in which they have managed to keep afloat their aspirations. Also, some of the novel ways they have added during their sojourn. Through a series of articles that I have attempted to cull out, one can hope that pointers will emerge as to what the south Asian sub continent has been able to offer as a destination for those on a quest for education as well as answering some of their concerns. For the workshop, I will share my experiences on what me the country, why I have been India for so long, living in different parts of India. Also, how much I have changed as a person, as well as my perceptions of the place and its
 constructions/representations of Africans.

  Bio Data  I am a Kenyan national. Having attained his BA degree from Mohanlal Sukhadia University, Udaipur, I proceeded for his MS (Communication) course from Bangalore University. Currently, I am pursuing a doctoral research program at the Department of Studies in Communication and Journalism, University of Mysore as a self-financing researcher under the guidance of Dr. N Usha Rani. The working title of my study is “Treatment of Development News in the Print Media and its Correlation with the Non Governmental Organization’s Perception of Development News: A Comparative Study of India and Kenya.” The study is an attempt to explore the linkages between Print Media and Non Governmental Organizations and documents the experiences of the actors in these sectors.