[Reader-list] The Slimes of India's Patna edition reprints, Danishcartoon

Aarti aarti at sarai.net
Fri Feb 10 14:58:41 IST 2006

Dear All,

Interesting debate on.

On the question of speech and action and therefore free speech: I think
it is important to make a distiction between the two. Just as law
distinguihes between the intent to act, mens rea and actus reus, to act,
and only legislates the latter, it is not desirable, in my opinion, to
curb speech acts, whatever their content, unless and only when speech
acts can be directly linkled to acts of vioelnce/harm. So therefore to
return to the old old debate "should racists be given a  platform" I say
yes because this is a freedom of speech issue and the freedom of speech
should be limitless.

However if a particular staement or set of staments can be directly
linked to acts of violence that result from it, then this moves out of
the realm of speech into a realm of punishable action and for that there
are safegaurds within legal systems that can be invoked.

Of course the line between the two is fuzzy, and sometimes
indistinguishable. So what do we do? Well, its a tough call, but the
only answer, as far I can see, to speech acts are more speech acts.

On the question of sentiment: Often sentiment is invoked precisely to
justify the worst sorts of inequality and oppression. And of course some
speech acts are precisely formulated to hurt sentiment. And this is not,
in my opinion, a bad thing.

Thanks all for this discussion. Hope it continues :)
best
Aarti